Purchase Over Winter Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning All,

I'm a member of the local BKA, in 2018 asked to mentor 2 new members, they purchased hives in 2018 with hope of swarms caught by local keepers, no luck. In our village we also have 2 new beginners with hives, no bees.

We recommended they all start 2019 with over wintered nuc, plus later purchase a queen and we will supply frames etc.

My question, require 4 over wintered nuc, last year I purchased from Ged M, checking his website non available for 2019.

Recommendations??

Did they make any preparations for attracting a swarm into the empty hives?
:smash::smash::smash:

• Positioning the nuc boxes in an elevated location?
  • Strategic use of Lemongrass Oil?
  • Old /used frames placed inside the empty boxes?

Or did they just expect things to drop in their lap? :ohthedrama:

Last edited:
I am not going to recommend anyone, other than type into your browser 'overwintered nucs for sale'. There are some available, but it requires travelling, but be quick. If you have a spare hive or hives available in 2019, then after splitting you can buy queens from Ged and introduce to hopelessly queenless nucs, but there is no guarantee that the queens would be accepted.

Each to their own, but why buy bees when there will be bees aplenty amongst your membership once the season gets going? surely a few members would be willing to do some early splits, or even have over wintered nucs of their own. I always take a few nucs through winter, in home made wooden boxes, just for insurance.

This year hasn't been very swarmy so don't give up hope for next year. I would ask around your local association -should be able to find someone who over-winters 'acceptable' bees. They are likely to be at least as good as any swarm you may catch- at least they will have proven winter hardiness.
I have supplied our association in the past with over-wintered nucs that I'm happy are 'tried and tested', any left over are sold through Gumtree/Prevoved and Patrick's webs site.

Not necessarily as many hived swarms especially those with older queens supersede them in late summer.

Each to their own, but why buy bees when there will be bees aplenty amongst your membership once the season gets going? surely a few members would be willing to do some early splits, or even have over wintered nucs of their own. I always take a few nucs through winter, in home made wooden boxes, just for insurance.

Indeed. Very sound advice.

Some new members were lucky and did receive swarms. not many in our area last year. The idea of the over winter nuc is to start with at least one good hive. 2nd hive we will help with queens / splits etc.
Thanks for thoughts

Latest posts

Back