Potato varieties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Its coming up to potato planting, I am wondering what varieties are being planted this year. I will plant under poly chitted Maris Peer, then chitted Maris Bard, for mid season Kestrel and late the good Old King Edward.

I expect every gardener will have their own preferences as there are so many good varieties.

Mike

My main crop are Mayan Gold, Belle de Fontenay and King Edward.
I’m also growing some Salad Blue but this year will grow in bags as the slugs got them last year.
They make the most wonderful mashed potatoes albeit blue. I won’t have any other after tasting these.

For earlies I have Lady Christl in bags in the garden.
International Kidney (These are brilliant to grow on for a larger spud) and Ratte in the veg patch.

All chitting in sunroom :)

Talking of veggies. This year will be the first asparagus crop.....can't wait

Its coming up to potato planting, I am wondering what varieties are being planted this year. I will plant under poly chitted Maris Peer, then chitted Maris Bard, for mid season Kestrel and late the good Old King Edward.

I expect every gardener will have their own preferences as there are so many good varieties.

Mike

I plant Lady Christl, Kestrel, Lady Balfour, Sante, Orla and Cara. Might have a few Romano as well.

Extra early - Lady Christl in a half barrel in the greenhouse
Early - Casablanca+Arran Pilot
2nd - Kestrel
Salad - Charlotte+Anya
Main - Picasso+Arran Victory

Nicola and Picasso...and I'm trying Marfona this year. Blight is a problem in this area, and Marfona has been given a high recommendation for organic methods. Nicola and Picasso are affected by blight but I've found that if I cut the foliage as soon as I see blight I still get a good crop.

I grow kestrel second early find them very good and mis the slugs as long as you can get them out in time

We plant 'down here' in the very WET South West,

Lady Christl, Kestrel, Charlotte.

We need to be quick to get the tops off when blight hits but they produce a good edible crop.

I like, Beauregard Improved... a nice sweet potato.

Nicola and Picasso...and I'm trying Marfona this year. Blight is a problem in this area, and Marfona has been given a high recommendation for organic methods. Nicola and Picasso are affected by blight but I've found that if I cut the foliage as soon as I see blight I still get a good crop.

If blight is a problem try sarpo Mira. I can grow it here where everything else fails. It can resist blight and carry on growing. No need to cut the foliage off.
Cazza

If blight is a problem try sarpo Mira. I can grow it here where everything else fails. It can resist blight and carry on growing. No need to cut the foliage off.
Cazza

Do they make good eating (i.e. what' the flavour like)?

I'm growing this year Pentland Javelin, Charlotte, Desiree, and my favorite for flavour King Edward. We have a good variety of seed potatoes from our allotment shop, spoilt for choice really.

Surprised that no one is growing the early "rocket"?
This waxy new potatoes is my favourite in salads and simply boiled and covered in butter.
Always available in a local garden centre.
Alec

Back