Moving a colony into a new hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad? When I lived in Cumbria I had a scope on the bees. Now that the apiary is a few metres to far cctv has crossed my mind 😉
It's not just me then ? There's barely a day goes by when I don't peer in through the crownboard of a hive ... means they all get a look about once a week - doesn't seem to disturb them and it's very reassuring. I like looking at the landing boards when they are flying as well.

I'll quite happily watch the comings and goings at the hive entrance. I try to limit lifting the lid off to only those times when it is necessary though. I can't deny that I sometimes get the urge to take a peek just to see what they're up to, but I can't help feeling that on the whole, the bees might prefer that I didn't.

James

I'll quite happily watch the comings and goings at the hive entrance. I try to limit lifting the lid off to only those times when it is necessary though. I can't deny that I sometimes get the urge to take a peek just to see what they're up to, but I can't help feeling that on the whole, the bees might prefer that I didn't.

James
That's where clear crown boards give you the best of both worlds ! You can look at them without disturbing them. I would not crack a crownboard from the time I close them down for winter until spring is well sprung.

It's not just me then ? There's barely a day goes by when I don't peer in through the crownboard of a hive ... means they all get a look about once a week - doesn't seem to disturb them and it's very reassuring. I like looking at the landing boards when they are flying as well.
I love my polycarbonate crown boards. 😁 Especially in winter when I can peek in on them without undue disturbance or letting all the heat out.

I have been looking at polycarbonate crown boards, but it's not a cheap material to buy these days :(

James
Talk to your local recycling centre - a lot of shower enclosures were made from polycarbonate not toughened glass .. I've picked up a couple of door and side screens for next to nothing and a clean and a polish later - perfectly usable.

Talk to your local recycling centre - a lot of shower enclosures were made from polycarbonate not toughened glass .. I've picked up a couple of door and side screens for next to nothing and a clean and a polish later - perfectly usable.

I'll try to remember next time I'm out that way. I don't recall seeing anything like that lying about when I was there weekend before last, but neither was I looking for it. I'll drop a message to a builder I know who might be able to save anything similar if he's removing it, too.

Otherwise I was looking at buying a reasonable size sheet (or two) and cutting it down myself. At least that would reduce the cost a little.

James

Have the supermarkets started to dismantle/stop using the "covid 'spit' screens" yet ?

Don't know about supermarkets, but they're still up in my local sports centre, and in a pub I was playing skittles at week before last. I'd not be surprised if some pubs didn't keep them in place for quite a while. I imagine some bar staff find it far more pleasant to work with a screen between them and the punters.

James

I decided to order online from plasticsheets.com which were the cheapest I could find - got an 800 x 432 of 3mm cut in to 3 equal pieces for £23 including delivery. Not cheap but not massively expensive either.
Did think about using thicker 4 or 5mm but felt that by time the 9mm ply round the perimeter for bee space is on it should be stiff enough even to carry a feeder. If its not stiff enough to take the feeder then I'll have a ply version to drop in when feeding.

I decided to order online from plasticsheets.com which were the cheapest I could find - got an 800 x 432 of 3mm cut in to 3 equal pieces for £23 including delivery. Not cheap but not massively expensive either.
Did think about using thicker 4 or 5mm but felt that by time the 9mm ply round the perimeter for bee space is on it should be stiff enough even to carry a feeder. If its not stiff enough to take the feeder then I'll have a ply version to drop in when feeding.
Thats actually not a bad price and 3mm should be ok for a feeder - if it sags all you have to do is put a small bit of timber the same depth as the rim you are adding between the top of the frames and the underside of the crownboard and that will support it sufficiently.

The OP has a long deep hive ... so three pieces will give him options to just open the bits he needs to ,,

Ahhh. That possibility did cross my mind, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the style and had no idea of the dimensions.

James

I use 3mm poly sheet and cut a 25mm diameter hole in the centre for a feeder. No problems whatsoever for supporting a full rapid feeder and I cover the hole when not in use.

Latest posts

Back