Pot-shot ID, please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 ft lbs is the max legal air rifle and 6 ft lbs for a hand gun.
An air rifle I use to have did record over 12 ft lbs dependant on the pellet used according to the muzzle gadet used to record the velocity.
My metal shed some 150ft down the bottom of the garden has suffered a few pellet dents.

Last edited:
Do you mean that the weapon must have been much more powerful?
no, it is what I would expect from a non FAC weapon at that range, either that or it was a plinker and was fired much closer than the footpath

12 ft lbs is the max legal air rifle and 6 ft lbs for a hand gun.
An air rifle I use to have did record over 12 ft lbs dependant on the pellet used according to the muzzle gadet used to record the velocity.
My metal shed some 150ft down the bottom of the garden has suffered a few pellet dents.
You should probably get that tuned down slightly. If there was reason to test your rifle it is done with a variety of weight pellets. You really don't want to be guilty of a firearms offence.

so even a non FAC air rifle would struggle to do much damage at that distance - let alone a BB gun. And there is a chance the pellet would tumble
Strange - I would have expected more damage from my (non-fac) air rifle at 20m, seeing what it does to a rat skull or a potato.
I could try it on a bit of scrap Kingspan too see (though it's softer) but I'm not shooting a nuc! (I suspect it would penetrate full-thickness).

Edit:
I got curious enough to try!
From 18m a .17 (4.5mm) pellet went straight through a 5cm piece of Kingspan, though doing little damage - neat exit holes.

Last edited:
Yesterday found this embedded in a nuc; looks to me to be a deliberate shot by a vandal looking for a quick thrill, but strangely, in sight of CCTV and offices. What is it, and what sort of gun fired it?

View attachment 39298
Looks like a catapult to me.
Very accurate and can be more powerful that a 12ftlb air rilke and far more powerful than a bb gun.

My old Vulcan .22 can still kill a rabbit.

But only if I hit it with the butt :rolleyes:

K ;)

I still take the occasional pheasant for the pot with my BSA .22, though I did replace the spring with a (still legal) gas cylinder. Squirrels are fair game as well as far as I'm concerned, given how much damage they do. Up to about 20m it's lethal, but beyond that it's only the crows and jackdaws attempting to steal chicken food that need to worry and even then it needs me to be very accurate (which often I'm not, as the flight of a .22 pellet isn't very flat).

I used to get the occasional rabbit too, but I think the cats keep the numbers pretty low now. I'm almost grateful to them as they're a lot of work to butcher for not a great deal of reward.

James

I used to get the occasional rabbit too, but I think the cats keep the numbers pretty low now. I'm almost grateful to them as they're a lot of work to butcher for not a great deal of reward.
used to dress just the hind legs and the back which has loads of quality meat - the forelegs and ribs were only good for stock.

Ah, well, this side of the Levels we don't really think of ourselves as Engerlund. As soon as climate change really gets a grip and they flood permanently we'll be declaring independence :D

James
...and you can rename it Atlantis

Latest posts

Back