Possible swarm gone in bait hive? How long should I wait to move ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
Determined to keep bees again (although was going to give the year off, due to injuries from serious road traffic accident). The compulsion to keep them again was too much....

Considering the number of bees, I'm seeing over the weekend around my garage and house, it's almost like there coming home! I thought I would pop a used hive up on the flat roof at the back of the house, I tried the front last year without success.

and today, with the number of bees at the rear of the house, and the roar and interest in the ivy (not in flower) it's possible a swarm has been caught and gone into the hive.

From my observations, it looks like very much like after you've caught a swarm hanging from a bush/tree the remaining flyers that remain flying around the bush/tree.

My neighbour did not notice any swarms this afternoon, only to say ah, are you beekeeping again, as I had about 10 bees follow me into the house this afternoon!

To which I said, there are no bees in the box I put up on the flat roof it was empty!

Anyway, back to my simple question cannot remember, or maybe never asked it, usually the swarms go into a box, where I want them, or I catch them and take them to my quarantine apiary. but this will have to be removed, I cannot manage them up on a flat roof.

How long have I got (days) before they lock in this position as their home, because my apiary location is under 3 miles ?

e.g. how long do bees stay in swarm mode ?

what do we think ?

(good to be back again Beeks)

Determined to keep bees again (although was going to give the year off, due to injuries from serious road traffic accident). The compulsion to keep them again was too much....

Considering the number of bees, I'm seeing over the weekend around my garage and house, it's almost like there coming home! I thought I would pop a used hive up on the flat roof at the back of the house, I tried the front last year without success.

and today, with the number of bees at the rear of the house, and the roar and interest in the ivy (not in flower) it's possible a swarm has been caught and gone into the hive.

From my observations, it looks like very much like after you've caught a swarm hanging from a bush/tree the remaining flyers that remain flying around the bush/tree.

My neighbour did not notice any swarms this afternoon, only to say ah, are you beekeeping again, as I had about 10 bees follow me into the house this afternoon!

To which I said, there are no bees in the box I put up on the flat roof it was empty!

Anyway, back to my simple question cannot remember, or maybe never asked it, usually the swarms go into a box, where I want them, or I catch them and take them to my quarantine apiary. but this will have to be removed, I cannot manage them up on a flat roof.

How long have I got (days) before they lock in this position as their home, because my apiary location is under 3 miles ?

e.g. how long do bees stay in swarm mode ?

what do we think ?

(good to be back again Beeks)

I would imagine that if they have moved in swarm mode is over and they should start drawing comb straight away. They don't want a B&B for the night. Move them asap if you can't do the 3 miles rule.

Thanks Jeff.

Just been out, and listened with stethoscope, and either I'm deaf, or no-one is at home!

Maybe lots of scouts....

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff.

Just been out, and listened with stethoscope, and either I'm deaf, or no-one is at home!

Maybe lots of scouts....

Hi Andy,
Good to hear you're back. Are you fully recovered and mobile again?
That's why I have clear crownboards. I can lift the roof and see the insides without disturbing the residents. :)

Hi Andy,
Good to hear you're back. Are you fully recovered and mobile again?
That's why I have clear crownboards. I can lift the roof and see the insides without disturbing the residents. :)

Yes, I do have clear crown boards, but not on that hive!

:icon_204-2:Good idea that!

lots of activity, but late this evening, could not see a single bee and no guard bees, when looking with a bright lamp!

so strange....

fingers crossed for days to come. (it is early, not June yet!)

Will they won't they - all exciting stuff. Only ever had a swarm move from a hive to an empty nuc which does not really count. Fingers X.

Will they won't they - all exciting stuff. Only ever had a swarm move from a hive to an empty nuc which does not really count. Fingers X.

certainly nothing last night at 11.00pm.

but by the activity this morning around this empty hive, the bees seem to be in a frenzy in the air everywhere, bee chaos, more bees around than I ever seen, around a populated hive!!!

and checking other bait hives this morning that were active - nothing.

Have all the bees concentrated on a single bait hive ?

If you look in the photo I quickly took, as bees were bumping into me, at a rate of 1 every 5 seconds, you can spot bees in the air on on the hive, coming and going from inside.

Personally never seen such a bee frenzy over a empty bit hive!

Attachments

• bait-hive.jpg
    bait-hive.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Well you would not think it, got home this evening excited because my Bumble Bees had been delivered from Dragonfli (no honey of course!) but these were purchased as a present for my birthday last year to cheer me up, my partner decided not to purchase Honey Bees because she thought I would do that!

So all excited to let them out, but the box said wait 30 minutes.... in the meantime my neighbour next door came and told me they had a swarm of bees land in the garden, go over the wall, and onto my blue recycle bin! ( round the back of my house immediately under the bait hive on the flat roof, 10 foot above them!)

With a smug grin, I said not my bees, but they will be.... found it really odd capturing a swarm on my property! A little nervous at first it's been over 12 months I've handled bees, but it comes back quickly...

here's a picture

What is interesting is these bees must have moved, because on a plastic water bottle from a water drinks machine, is lots of wax, the same is on the blue bin, (after removal), so they landed next door, fly over the wall, onto water bottle, and then moved.

they are now hived in a national, on a solid floor, with reduced entrance on fresh foundation and frames. That's all I can do, done my job.

I will leave for a week, and see how they get on.

and need to check what I have in the bait hive!

Attachments

• bees-on-bin.jpg
    bees-on-bin.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 44
here's hoping, it's been hot and humid here today 26 degrees C.

Honey Bees everywhere...it's chaos...

It would have been nice if they had gone straight into the bait hive! I've still got 5 out in the area.

I need to check the bait hive, on the flat roof, I'm wondering if two swarms turned up, and one didn't find a home...

Check tomorrow.

The force was with you. That's amazing. Fingers cross that they stay.

Let them settle, and move, when they will have open brood.

Good comeback. Congratulations :)

at 6.00am, not a bee insight anywhere near the bait hive (above the blue recycle bin!).

(and checked last night empty)

6.30am - a different story - bee chaos again, bees crashing everywhere, against brick work, windows, ivy, bait hive front is covered again.

Another swarm inbound to same location ?

lots of activity, all over the plastic water bottle and blue recycle bin cover it small bits of wax everywhere.

Could be another warm day, yesterday was the warmest day in May since 1944! (According to Chris Evans on Radio 2 , this am!)

oh, almost forgot my new residents, checked this morning orientation flights, lots of bees at the reduced entrance, quick peek through clear coverboard, bees present.

stay away now for 1 week.

Just to confirm, I had two swarms in one day, (24th May) one went into the bait hive, and the other obviously found, there was someone at home, and made it to the blue recycle bin!

No who's idea was to put the bait hive on the flat roof, which makes it difficult to inspect, and feed! I'll let them settle, and then move them 3 miles away and bring back to apiary.

Absconded!

Maybe there weren't two swarms, and just a single, and some went into bait hive, some got lost and stuck on the bin, I'm just left with a handful of stragglers!

So maybe some truth of a Swarm in May....

Very odd really as they started to draw foundation....

Wait and see what the rest of June brings.

Absconded!

Maybe there weren't two swarms, and just a single, and some went into bait hive, some got lost and stuck on the bin, I'm just left with a handful of stragglers!

So maybe some truth of a Swarm in May....

Very odd really as they started to draw foundation....

Wait and see what the rest of June brings.

As I only check bait hives either weekly or fortnightly they all have starter strips and an old comb & lemon grass oil. When I find one occupied they have nearly always drawn the comb- providing bait hive was plumb then comb is beautiful worker comb. I've now got a feeder hole in the bait hive crown board so that some fondant can be given when, like now Ive run our of spare kit to transfer them to and the weather turns sour.

Yes, it is odd.... they clearly found a better place....

Latest posts

Back