Position of bait boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just interested to know opinions on positioning bait boxes - is there a best place? direction? height? when to put them up?

Going to use old brood comb in the box as bait.

would i be in trouble for simply saying "outside"? lol

In all seriousness, ask something like that and everyones answer will be diffrent.

A friend of mine used to keep his bait box's up in the roof space of his barn. Apparently, if he didn't have the bait box up there, and a swarm came past, he invariably ended up with bee's in the rafters... on the other hand, he had 15 hives that he was keeping, and another 5 colonies he was selling last year lol

A swarm flew over a friends head last yr while sge was out in the horse paddocks and headed into a wood we could hear them but couldn't find them so I'm going to fasten a couple of bait hives to tree trunks at the edge of the wood facing south towards the guys apiary a mile away

Thanks for the link to Tom Seeley and for your replies - first time I have tried this.

Doesn't seem to a problem here in Florida. I'm on holiday in a Disney resort and along the side or the roads to Magic Kingdom there are five bait hives five foot up from the ground at 500 yard intervals approx. They are tagged with red or white tags. May have a walk and have a look at one if my wife will let me!
Lucky beggars here it's in the high seventies temperature. Wall to wall sunshine!!

Latest posts

Back