Pollen patty advice / timing ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
I ran an experiment with protein patties in the autumn; by adding thymol, I managed to find a recipe that they take and does not glow in the dark. I have been persuaded not to put it on yet, for obvious reasons.

But the weather has improved dramatically and pollen is going in at an increasing rate. I have much evidence of brooding under the hive, so they're hard at it (as I would jolly well hope). But they're a broody bunch and stored almost no pollen last year, that I saw.

So I am torn between giving them a patty and getting them fired up (but how stimulative is it, really?) and worries about getting knocked back for lack of protein by the inevitable bad weather between here and late spring.

Help! Advice please (and yes, "leave them the hell alone" is understood all round; I'll not be going deeper than an eke for months.)

Last edited:
You have seen lots of pollen going in.

Pollen patties are really for those who either have a shortage of local early pollen, or who are trying to get the bees brooding even before their local early pollen appears - either because their season is silly short (think norse and worse), or their main (only?) local nectar flow is rather early in the season and they want the colony at full strength for it (think of OSR).

Neither of those seems to apply to suburban London.

So I'd say - "let them be". Try!

// and I suspect that some may have had their protein supplements on the hive a fortnight or so ago ...

Hi TTLTB,
Agree with itma. Why mess around with artificial stuff, when there is lots of pollen going in in our part of the UK now?

Thanks, and I am inclined to heed the advice but to answer the question "why?"

"Because I remember last spring and all that slow buildup. Having a patty on there might have helped fill the gap and I want some honey this year."

Feeding excess pollen won't stimulate more brooding if there is already enough of the real stuff coming in.

Last year, the Spring was late. And the Spring pollen and nectar were late.
Seems much earlier this year, doesn't it?

Different situation, different response.

Feeding excess pollen won't stimulate more brooding if there is already enough of the real stuff coming in.

Last year, the Spring was late. And the Spring pollen and nectar were late.
Seems much earlier this year, doesn't it?

Different situation, different response.

I'm not being argumentative, just explaining my reasoning. I don't think it was so much that the forage was late last year, more that the weather meant they couldn't get to the early forage. That's what I'm worried about.

I think I'm heading towards trying to let them bee, but if they get rained in for more than three days, then I may plug the gap. Any objections?

Just to confuse things, I've been asked to source 15kg of pollen substitute by our apiary manager when there's abundant catkins and other pollen sources freely available.

On a positive it is looking like the Azores high may be building in over the south at the beginning of march so weather may calm and we'll see drier weather with some sunshine :) get this week out of the way first but fingers crossed!!

Why not ?

What harm can it do if you give them a patty now ?

I have had them on for two weeks and they love it also plenty of pollen coming in, but if spring is early then I want young bees ready for the early flowers .
Although if it turns much wetter then you may have lots of hungry mouths to feed.

What harm can it do if you give them a patty now ?

I have had them on for two weeks and they love it also plenty of pollen coming in, but if spring is early then I want young bees ready for the early flowers .
Although if it turns much wetter then you may have lots of hungry mouths to feed.

Because freshly picked is better for them! If you look closely at your bees I am sure you find that they are new fluffy bees!

Latest posts

Back