Plastic Beehives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, I currently have three Langstroth hives and this is my third year Bee Keeping, its been good so far, not to sure about wooden hives though? I have been thinking of investing in plastic hives? they look like they could be less maintenance and a dryer more insulated environment for the Bess? So any advice would be appreciated as usual.
Thank you all and Seasons Greetings.

Hi all, I currently have three Langstroth hives and this is my third year Bee Keeping, its been good so far, not to sure about wooden hives though? I have been thinking of investing in plastic hives? they look like they could be less maintenance and a dryer more insulated environment for the Bess? So any advice would be appreciated as usual.

Have a read of this thread

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/polystyrene-v-cedar.56250/

You get wood advocates and poly advocates. Many use different arguments to base their decision on. I believe poly might be marginally better for the bees, but aesthetically I prefer cedar every time . Pick a format and stick to it. I get confused about the which make of poly is best too

For BB's I use a mix of wood and poly , my National BS BB's are all compatible with each other and both on a 11fr footprint . Use Abelo poly's (11f ones) and one won't have issues .

I use wood with enveloping poly covers and poly.
No discernable difference but poly only - no cover to remove - are quicker to open up.

I use wood and poly gradually changing over to more poly but it would be a big expense to do it in one go and I dont want to throw away good wooden kit.

I like both. The insulation properties of Poly are great and the results are clear to see during spring build up. You need to be careful getting that first frame out with the hive tool though. I've also notice the bees chewing around the entrance when a mouse guard is in use, not that it matters. I do much prefer the look of wood though. Plus I enjoy having any excuse to be in the shed building wooden frames, supers and brood boxes in the peace and quiet with a mug of tea. This and the fact that poly has become very expensive encourages me to buy wood these days and add extra insulation in the roofs.

using Langstroth hives
Missed that, even though it was right there!

Langstroth sizes vary incrementally between British, European and American. I really like Honey Paw for the simplicity of design: the hand-holds are well-considered, losing minimal wall thickness but retaining max. hand hold in any direction.

If you're in any doubt, give Paul Beardmore at Modern Beekeeping a ring; dimensions of HP Lang are here. If they match yours, trial a few boxes and let us know the result.

Latest posts

Back