phacelia seeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
couple
hi can anyone help? there was a thread on here some time ago saying about phacelia seeds for 15 pound a kilo and i cant seem to find now cheers

Yes try here

http://tinyurl.com/7t3pj2d

Ring them up for special requests (by the Kilo)

£50 order delivered free (was)

Borage seed is cheap and they do a pollen and nectar mix.

Get your local farmer to plant 10+++ acres of Sainfoin AND let it flower before cutting ...

BOL

Got loads (somewhere)....honey bees took pollen from them last year a tiny bit...but ignored it really. Since read that you need at least 18 inches of good top soil for it to work well. Ahem, that explains it....wrong place :redface:

18" is very deep!

They grow like weeds in hedgerows alongside fields where they were grown commercially.

In their dreams :cool:

hi can anyone help? there was a thread on here some time ago saying about phacelia seeds for 15 pound a kilo and i cant seem to find now cheers

I bought mine from Moles Seeds. Helpful and efficient.
They grow well enough in my poor sandy soil and set seed readily.
Honey bees work the pollen but this depends what else is in flower at the same time.
Cazza

18" is very deep!

They grow like weeds in hedgerows alongside fields where they were grown commercially.

yep, there's probably a lot more than 18" of topsoil under an established hedge, due to several factors, including branch and leaf drop, root action, root hair replacement, and of course the action of earthworms and fungii / bacterium.

Unlikely, but in any event when the hedge is four feet high and it's growing on the top of it the roots aren't gettin to the soil :)

I got a smaller quantity from SowSeeds.

Being sold as a 'green manure', for soil improvement, it shouldn't be too fussy about where it goes ...

hi,
you could try kings seeds, its a commerical catalog, and they sell phacelia for £14.95 a kg - getting cheaper as you go up.

georgia

Kings Seeds phacelia also in smaller packs (£1.50) to cover 25 sq.m mosts garden centres have them look for there other green manuare seeds too(eg. Buckwheat,Crimson Clover) kingsseeds com

thanks georgia b i need quite a lot for a bit of unofficial planting on verges, guerilla planting, along with a lot of wild flower mix etc brigthen up a few roundabouts where they just mow the edges etc

Back