Perennial Wallflower (Bowles Mauve)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there any plant experts that can direct me to some information on this plant? I had them in my garden for the past 2 years and am planting more and the bees seems to thrive on them but I'm not sure if they provide anything.

Anyone care to assist?

Perennial Wallflower (Bowles Mauve)
Produces a profusion of sweet-scented purple flowers from April all through the summer.

Brilliant for butterflies (ours was covered in Painted Ladies last year) but I have no idea if they're good for honeybees

Brilliant for butterflies (ours was covered in Painted Ladies last year) but I have no idea if they're good for honeybees

Yes read alot about them being good for butterflys but nothing seems to indicate regarding honey bees. Keep the info coming...

Yes, haven't seen any bees on my biennial wallflowers, they smell delicious though!

I grow Bowles Mauve from time to time. My bees aren't very interested in it but butterflies seem to like it.
It's a lovely plant but is short lived and starts to deteriorate after a couple of seasons. However, it is very easy to propogate by cuttings taken in early summer. Best to take some for overwintering as it doesn't stand up well to harsh weather.

Just seen a honeybee on mine but it flew off by the time I'd got the camera.
Will try and get a photo :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back