People’s thoughts on a swarm in a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi , I have had an old hive at my father in-laws orchard and a swarm has moved in now my brother in-law has rand up saying can he borrow the hive so he can have the bees , surly they are mine as the hive is my property, how would you act ... I am a bit dumbfounded at the moment .... thanks in advance

(edit)
... saying can he borrow the hive so he can have the bees , surly they are mine as the hive is
my property, how would you act ... I am a bit dumbfounded at the moment .... thanks in

Ethic questions are always interesting topics to follow....
... builds a clear Character Picture.
"Borrow"... no problem as you retain Property Rights.

Bill

if it were me
i would let your brother in law use the hive, its not worth arguing,if he in not a beekeeper ask him if he needs help with them.

I think i am detecting some other issues....if my brother in law told me he wanted to keep bees i would drop him a nuc off after he completed a course or when he thought he was ready.
As to who's the bees are you did not put them there and they are on his farthers property so realisticly maybe you should be asking your farther in law

all sorted now , and peacefully , I will give him a nuc which I had mentioned a while back .

that will give him a chance to get kit as he hasn't any , and a nuc with bees of right temper for a beginner

all sorted now , and peacefully , I will give him a nuc which I had mentioned a while back .

Well done, Kudos... a potential b'kpr is birthed, and without carrying any
baggage(aspersions) towards other b'kprs - a vital step in personal
development a number posting(here) skipped past.

Bill

Hi , I have had an old hive at my father in-laws orchard and a swarm has moved in now my brother in-law has rand up saying can he borrow the hive so he can have the bees , surly they are mine as the hive is my property, how would you act ... I am a bit dumbfounded at the moment .... thanks in advance

Sounds like you've got squatters :cheers2:

Back