Paying farmers or farmers paying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priono

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi. I have been offered some agricultural sides for next year. As I know in some countries farmers pay beekeepers for pollinating their crops. Do you charge or do you pay e.g. with honey? If you think that's too sensitive then just pm me please. Thanks a lot

If you get a permanent all year round site on a farmers land then one jar of honey per hive every year is often the agreed tariff.

That sounds reasonable

Unless they are high value soft or top fruit crops you won't get them paying you and then I'm not sure if commercial guys get decent pay for pollination?

Run of the mill arable farming only crops are OSR and legumes like beans and peas that benefit from pollinators. Perhaps a bit of mustard or linseed but they are fairly niche crops. And there are free pollinators beyond honey bees that do that.

I pay two jars per hive because they are good sites

Last edited:
Years ago used to get paid, not now though! A jar or two of honey may get you an invite back every year or more help with security etc if you are there permanently.
E

there are commercial contracts available for members of the BFA no idea of the rates paid to them though as not a member yet.

Back