Paving Stones.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
A few weeks back I posted a photo of my back garden when it had been snowing, where it showed that the snow on the paving stones had melted whereas the snow on the grass hadnt.

Standing in amongst the plants I have some glass flagons filled with coloured water, and salt to stop it freezing and breaking the flagons. One obviously didnt have enough salt in and it broke. Yesterday I noticed that another flagon standing near the door on a paving stone, which I had filled with plain water to use as a weight, and had no salt in it, and had forgotten to empty, was still in one piece. Perhaps therefore, using paving stones might have other advantages than just providing a level base for hives.

Perhaps therefore, using paving stones might have other advantages than just providing a level base for hives.

Good for standing flagons of water on in cold weather, by the sounds of it.

More likely a sheltered spot or over a drain?

:iagree:

If not a drain cover, ( you would see that ) could be an underground pipe, from kitchen or bathroom feeding to a main drainage point.

With a bath tub, shower, washing machine or dishwasher running, they would heat up the slabs above.

paving slabs have a air gap underneath, when the slabs are laid they have 5 spots of compo, one each corner and one in the middle,if you dig down 3 ft you will find the ground temperature stays constant at i think 17 degrees all year round, and stone heats up quicker than the ground around

Better build all roads in concrete paving slabs then?

Might not need the gritters out in the winter? Cars would last longer (less salt on the roads)?

Better build all roads in concrete paving slabs then?

Might not need the gritters out in the winter? Cars would last longer (less salt on the roads)?

get rid of cars problem solved, wont want gritters then,any way gritters are for people who cannot drive properly

The ground under the grass is sodden so the melted snow didnt run off, then refroze wereas the paving slabs sloped away causing the water to run off when the snow started to melt.

Or
The white paving slabs reflected more of the sunshine than the grass and heated the snow more.

Or
body heat from the slugs under the paving slabs

Yesterday I noticed that another flagon standing near the door on a paving stone, which I had filled with plain water to use as a weight, and had no salt in it, and had forgotten to empty, was still in one piece.

We bring more tender plants closer to the house for the winter, they get more protection from the weather and a tiny amount of radiated heat from the house itself.

We bring more tender plants closer to the house for the winter, they get more protection from the weather and a tiny amount of radiated heat from the house itself.

Conservatories were originally called 'conservatory greenhouses' - built against a brick wall, the inside would be kept warmer at night due to heat absorbed by the bricks by day being radiated outwards at night.

Conservatories were originally called 'conservatory greenhouses' - built against a brick wall, the inside would be kept warmer at night due to heat absorbed by the bricks by day being radiated outwards at night.
Indeed. If you see the greenhouses they use in the northern parts parts of China they are built with heavy earth walls on the northern side to absorb what heat from the sun they can over the winter months. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dzroth/67281028/ as one of the first examples that a search turns up. Lowering the screens as insulation or shade daily is labour intensive but it extends the growing season quite well.

Latest posts

Back