Patternless foundation, or negative patterned foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the hump ?
VM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought that's what we were discussing......... oh! I get you now - you could always wrap your arms around it to stop you falling off the ladder

Less than 100 years ago we didn't have pesticides, frozen foods, pre packed everything, traffic jams, Chinese imports, high unemployment, and varroa

So what are the marvels of the 21st century that has improved human civilisation

Skype and video conferencing are a step forwards too.

Skype and video conferencing are a step forwards too.

Digital cameras and the internet ... for those occasions when you can't be there .... with a new Grandson now 8 months old I get daily photo updates from the other end of the country ! Can't imagine what it was like before that ...

Medical science.

Probably the best thing that has come out of medical science is Vaccines and most of us have been vaccinated against one or more infectious diseases, we are very glad to have had them however some controversial evidence has proved that vaccines have halted human evolution through natural selection

Less than 100 years ago we didn't have pesticides, frozen foods, pre packed everything, traffic jams, Chinese imports, high unemployment, and varroa

So what are the marvels of the 21st century that has improved human civilisation

About 100 years ago they were trying to deal with Isle of Wight Disease. Also, if the magazine article was right, after WW1 they were trying to deal with the rise in EFB from infected colonies abandoned because their beekeepers had died.

And back then they didn't have the internet either, so we couldn't have discussed things as quickly and easily - so information was slower to filter through.

And back then they didn't have the internet either, so we couldn't have discussed things as quickly and easily - so information was slower to filter through.

So Bro Adam wouldnt av ad a scoobie whether native bees were surviving in the far flung reaches of Britain.

Digital cameras and the internet ... for those occasions when you can't be there .... with a new Grandson now 8 months old I get daily photo updates from the other end of the country ! Can't imagine what it was like before that ...

Deffo the internet - I get to speak face to face with my two year old grandson in Australia whenever I want - and its free (ish). Mind you, if it had not been for the internet, Pargyle would not have been banned. Nice to see you back, Phil.

CVB

Telephones in every house. When my big sis went to Lincoln to go to teacher training college ( in the late 70's) we had a phone put in at the bottom of the stairs. We had a little wooden box, so that everyone who needed a phone could pay in advance instead of standing in a freezing cold, smelly phone box. For at least 8 yrs we expected a number of calls a night - and worked our days around it.

In spite of all . Jungle drums are still very effective :)
VM

In spite of all . Jungle drums are still very effective :)
VM

I'd agree ... there's a real downside to the current (and prevailing, I fear) culture of instantaneous communications. I love to get photos on a daily basis of my grandson but I see people who appear to be surgically attached to their portable media devices - responding to Twits, Blogs, Faceblock, Emails and the rest of the available 'social media' opportunities at the instant they arrive. There's a growing syndrome, I think, where a phone beep instantly heralds a mass Pavlovic reaction as people pick up/unlock their phones 'to see if it's for me'. Perhaps it should be called the TSIIFM Syndrome.

It interrupts and disturbs ... not just those in receipt of the TSIIFM but everyone else around them !

I'm old enough to remember the days when public phone boxes still required a penny putting in the slot .. there were no phone cards, bank cards, credit cards or mobile phones. Phones in domestic dwellings were still a rarity .. Instant communication was, at best, a telegram ... and instant probably meant at least several hours. Everything still got done ... perhaps with a lot more personal accountability - decisions made at an individual and personal level rather than being passed to someone else.

I'm not suggesting that we should return to these days ... I'm not a Luddite .. but I wonder how much time we actually WASTE in our lives looking at instant messages that have no relevance or benefit to the person receiving it.

In addition ... despite the instantaneus nature of communications I don't feel that, in many cases, service levels have improved. The amount of emails we all receive detracts, occasionally, from the focus on something that really IS urgent.

And the new top lie is, apparently, I SENT YOU AN EMAIL !!

Last edited:
I've long since turned off notification sounds on my iPad and iPhone . I check these bits of kit when I want to !
I'll leave Pavlov to his dogs :)
VM

I've long since turned off notification sounds on my iPad and iPhone . I check these bits of kit when I want to !
I'll leave Pavlov to his dogs :)
VM

You may be one in million from what I see around me ... apart from the ubiqitous 'beeps' the most irritating are those people with outrageous sounds, clips of loud music on their phones' ringtone - or recordings of 'YOU HAVE A BLOODY MESSAGE !' which they seem to keep at the highest possible volume.

I appreciate being able to keep in touch with people wherever they are but am also a big fan of the off button.

I appreciate being able to keep in touch with people wherever they are but am also a big fan of the off button.

I tend to leave mine on silent ... but when you do this or switch it off there is a raft of people who don't understand ... leaving multiple messages on the answerphone or sending multiple texts (backed up with identical emails) saying 'ARE YOU ALRIGHT ?' .... Yes, I WAS alright ....until you started your impatient campaign to get in touch with me ...

I would add that I don't do Facesock or Twaddle which irritates the hell out of some of my contacts 'I CAN'T FIND YOU ON FACECLOCK' ... No, that's because I value my internet privacy and I'm not on there !!

Am I ranting ? Sorry ... getting back in my Ludd(ish) box :calmdown:

And me, was given one of the things five or six years ago, chucked it in a drawer somewhere, where it has remained silent ever since.

Ooops ... bit of a leap into the dark with this thread ... :offtopic: Who started the roll down hill ???

Was it ...... Redwood ??? or JBM ??? or VM ??? :eek:

Latest posts

Back