Painting. Inside hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
What kind and helpful words can you offer to someone who has decided that it is a really clever idea to have painted the inside of his hive boxes?

What paints do you know that are nowadays considered suitable for this use?

The bees make a good job of the inside of a hive using their own make of sealer, it's called propolis.

all the guidance I have received say "don't paint the inside of hives", and all the books I have read say the same.

Why do you want to do it?

all the guidance I have received say "don't paint the inside of hives", and all the books I have read say the same.

Why do you want to do it?

I don't.

One of "the usual suspects" has done.
And is proud of having been so clever.

Right now, I'm not able to deal politely with this sort of thing being advocated on the forum.

Dear friend. I`m not sure what kind of wasp has stung you this morning :) , but could you make an effort to explain more specifically why do you mind a paint inside a hive… Taking in account you could not have a clue about paint I used.
Painting both sides means less UV goes through the walls bothering the bees, and makes it easy to clean off a mould and any sort of a dirt if the need arise.
Please can we have the 'Ignore' button back?

:blush5: Sorry Itma should have realise the comment was not from you.

I 'paint' the inside of new hives with propolis (basically frame scrapings) dissolved in methylated spirits ... gives a nice sealed finish to the hive interior - smells really hive(ish),dries quickly and the spirit evaporates off... saves the girls some decorating of their own. They seem to like it ...

If it was good enough for Stradivarius ......

Would not use paint though !

Much depends on what kind of wood you're making your hives from. I make mine from pallet wood, which is at risk of swelling (and busting glued joints) if subjected to a moist environment - I therefore paint the insides of such boxes. I don't think it's 'clever', just 'necessary' if you're working to a tight budget like this.

It's perfectly true that bees will coat the insides of a hive with propolis - eventually. But if you've used cheap and nasty wood, it'll be at risk at absorbing moisture (and thus swelling) until they do - and personally, I don't think it's worth taking the risk.

What paint to use ? In my opinion it doesn't much matter - just make sure that the paint has 'seasoned well' before putting any bees into the box. Never had a problem yet.

LJ

Last edited:
Does UV penetrate wood, or even c.4cm of expanded polystyrene? I doubt it (but shorter wavelength electromagnetic waves most certainly are able to pass through), but could not be 100% sure.

I reckon said poster is just trying a wind-up, like running a blog on the main forum, so just disregard all, and anything' he writes is my advice on this one. There again, perhaps there are higher levels of UV insolation where he comes from!

Further, think of the protection afforded to rays from the outside, of any surface coating on the inside of the material - unless his bees are somehow radiating UV. Two coats on the outside would be a better ploy in those circumstances, as it would further prevent degradation of the hive material.

Then again, does UV bother the bees? Again, I doubt it.

Ignore is the best thing in this instance, but it needs rebuttal, of course, or new beeks (and some others) will be worrying unnecessarily. Time and effort wasting is the name of the game, from that particular poster, is my analysis of his posts.

Dip the hive parts into paraffine if you want some neutral to bees. But for me is too much, cause wood have to "breed". I tried some dipping floors ( only sides, landing board, and part of board inside) and feeders - cause of durability and leakproof - at my opinion worth of try. But boxes, I believe moisture will largerly will remain in the hive - I am not for it.
One "beek" once bragged to me that he paint floors inside with paint to protect them more from moisture. As cream on top - with nitro based colors..

Probably doesn't do any harm. However; I'm not sure if they are having trouble with UV light penetrating wood a layer of paint is going to help them much.

I didn't know people kept bees on Mars.

What kind and helpful words can you offer to someone who has decided that it is a really clever idea to have painted the inside of his hive boxes?

I think you are referring to the painting of a polystyrene brood box I am trying to think is there any difference painted or not painted.

If you paint the inside whats going to happen when you "flame" it to get rid of bacteria or any pests/disease? Even painting the inside of a poly will be useless when its cleaned it will probably come off.

Painting inside??. IMHO absolute rowlocks.
As said bees do the job well enough and we need to undo with a blowtorch when the occasion arises.

Yes I agree and perhaps badly trying to make a cheap comparison to paint inside a polystyrene hive.
As we know the bees make a great job covering the inside of the hive and one I dismantled this year could only be described as thick varnish on the internal surfaces quite something. Not one of my hives but a gift and a plywood box so could have played a part.

... Right now, I'm not able to deal politely with this sort of thing being advocated on the forum. ...

That really bugs you, Itma, doesn't it? I followed the links and noticed that the hive in question is polystyrene, and the person did not advocate painting the inside of the hive either (he just answered your question when you asked him about it).

When I got my first polystyrene hives I was worried that it might harbour nasties in the fissures on the inside - particularly as they can't be flamed clean. The then owner of MB said that if I'm worried I can paint the inside, although it's not necessary. I've only done that with my first three hives - and not again. The bees don't care either way.

Kitta

I have worked in the Paint industry for 30 years, and have never heard of any research being done into the safety of Paint with regard to Bees. However as others have said dry paint films are generally safe, so once the paint is fully hardened (and modern paints are slower to fully cure, so leave for at least 7 days), I wouldn't expect a problem.
There are biocides and other "nasties" in paint, but they are in very small quantities. I am amused by the claims made by some Eco paints - if you read the ingredients they are sourced from far flung parts of the globe, and neither processing them nor getting them back to the paint plant is very "green"!
To me the bigger question is why are you painting, and is the paint you are using going to achieve that aim?
Wood expands and contracts and breathes. Many paints don't. Also to fully protect timber it needs to be painted everywhere - even the bits you can't see. Water ingress occurs in end grain and joints. Even if you were to fully paint a hive, the paint would subsequently be damaged on the edges between boxes, and would eventually let moisture in. Would the paint allow that moisture to escape, or would it trap it within the timber?
Personally I paint the outside of my hives with a breathable coating, but not the edges or inside.

Back