P P P Passed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
YES! Passed the Basic Exam...thanks to Buckfast Abbey for allowing me to use their hives and equipment!!

Unfortunately - I almost wish I hadn't because I got a taste for it - but cannot do any other modules unless I am willing, and can afford to join the BBKA...so even though I would love to do more study, I cannot..Ho Hum, such is life.

Well done

Congratulations Queens59,
I got a lovely retro certificate when I passed last year (and a slightly smug feeling that after two years of making mistakes I had finally learned something). My sub to the Cleveland Beekeepers costs £25 which includes BBKA membership, insurance and a monthly magazine. I think that's good value.

Sorry - are you saying that as a non member you can do the Basic, but you can't do any other study unless you are a member?

Oh and congrats on passing it anyway!

Well done Queens...we knew you could :).

You do NOT need to be a member to do BBKA exams but the fees are such that it makes sense really to join. As I've said before you don't have to sit through your local branch if you choose not to.

And the system is very accommodating for extra time, use of laptops, own chair etc etc if you have a bit of formal justification - so all this business of arthritic hands and things (Mod 3 thread)....ask :)...

Susbees -are there some rules/guidelines somewhere that tell us what is allowed or what the cost is as a member and as a non member ?

Cheers

Thanks all !! V V chuffed,

Susbees - the person in charge of the distance learning at BBKA said in reply to my query: Firstly you sign as an independant beekeeper so I asume you are not a BBKA member? I am sorry to say that all BBKA assessments besides the basic are only open to BBKA members so you must join. Details can be found on the BBKA web site.

I was a member and around here it costs £33 membership for me, and then I would have to top up for insurance. The events they hold are almost all evenings which are out for me - so I would be paying a membership just to enable me to take the exams only - except that I still need to pay for them too!!

Susbees - the person in charge of the distance learning at BBKA said in reply to my query: Firstly you sign as an independant beekeeper so I asume you are not a BBKA member? I am sorry to say that all BBKA assessments besides the basic are only open to BBKA members so you must join. Details can be found on the BBKA web site.

I was a member and around here it costs £33 membership for me, and then I would have to top up for insurance. The events they hold are almost all evenings which are out for me - so I would be paying a membership just to enable me to take the exams only - except that I still need to pay for them too!!

Well done Queens.
Any chance of joining another association with lower fees that include BBKA.
Eg. As Summerslease said we also charge £25 pa inc BBKA & BDI(3 cols), and have several members that live at least an hours travel, some more. There are several assoc's with lower fees than us.

Not sure Russell , I'd have to check - and then wait for my Birthday in the hope of a gift membership - as in all honesty I can afford membership or exams - but not both. It also grieves me to pay for a membership I am unable to use.

Join a different branch. Ours does evening meetings in winter but weekend ones (and weekday for those free during the day) during the season.

The BBKA news is worth a look too- like most mags there's some good, interesting stuff in it. And maybe some that doesn't grab you but it's a means to an end - and our branch gives back 50% of the fee if you pass!

Not sure Russell , I'd have to check - and then wait for my Birthday in the hope of a gift membership - as in all honesty I can afford membership or exams - but not both. It also grieves me to pay for a membership I am unable to use.

Have a word with your BKA's treasurer who may have the discretion to award full membership on hardship grounds.

Regards meetings : winter - evenings & summer - weekends; as I would think most do.

Russ

Well done Queens, we knew you could do it:.) Regards membership, I'm sure it will pay to shop around. Our assoc fee will be £24? next year, several groups within assoc as I'm sure others have. You can attend meetings from any local group as assoc member. Winter meeting are generally evenings I believe but Summer meetings at different groups are at different times at the weekend and some have early evening ones aswell. We also have 10 newsletters a year. Then of course BBKA news.
Devon group has a brilliant newletter included, many outside area beeks join as associate member just to get the newsletter.

That is simply not true. It is as I stated more cost-effective to join a BKA unless perhaps there are only a couple of exams you wish to do:

"Non Members

For the Basic Assessment, BBKA Membership is not required.
For higher examinations and assessments non BBKA members must pay an additional fee of £33 for each year examinations are undertaken."

However, access to Correspondence courses may be different.

Well, what do I do? The chap in charge of Distance Learning says - I must be a member, but due to my illness I end up attending nothing, so pay for a piece of card 3x2 and the right to do exams...and beekeeping on benefits is hard enough without paying for something of no obvious benefit. I would have the choice of membership or exam - a self-defeating circle - I only have 1 birthday a year...

"if you have a bit of formal justification"

Have yet to see BBKA exams mentioned on medical discussion fora as reasons for GANFYD requests.

seriously - find cheapest local association to join!

Thanks all - I think I'll just keep reading for now - and see if a local assoc. is worthwhile when we move next year. Not worth it for now.

Congrats Queen59. The bees will have to make more honey to pay for your exams! Extra 50p/lb education levy . . . )

The BBKA membership will give you statuary third party insurance and product liability I believe.

"if you have a bit of formal justification"

Have yet to see BBKA exams mentioned on medical discussion fora as reasons for GANFYD requests.

Perhaps not but a consultant or GP note stating the relevant issues is a valid route to the extra time, use of laptop etc that a candidate may be entitled to if they have a medical need in BBKA exams just as a statement of eg. dyslexia does.

Is there any obvious point to the beekeeping exams other than personal achievement? I.e Do you need them to sell honey on a large scale, sell nucs or run courses?

Latest posts

Back