P**nes Poly Nuc plastic coverboard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do exactly the same with the full boxes, use a super as an eke, Just drop a block of fondant or protein mix straight on the frame top bars.

Or if you need to feed syrup, either put the rapid feeder on the top bars or use a couple of sticks as a spacer if like.

We don't bother to add anything else to reduce volume or add any extra insulation.

Works a treat.

sipa

We do exactly the same with the full boxes, use a super as an eke, Just drop a block of fondant or protein mix straight on the frame top bars.

Or if you need to feed syrup, either put the rapid feeder on the top bars or use a couple of sticks as a spacer if like.

We don't bother to add anything else to reduce volume or add any extra insulation.

Works a treat.

sipa
Good to know thanks!

Totally agree, I leave the eke on there all winter, done it for two winters now without a loss. For 12x14 you just add another eke on top. The rapid feeder works great and you can easily see what's going on.

No need to complicate it, it really works.

sipa can you do it with the full boxes as well? I haven't had to feed any of those as yet but if it's needed how do you normally do it? My plan was to use an empty super as an eke or use a traditional cover board with a shallow wooden eke. The idea of an empty super on top of a broodbox through winter will probably give a lot of beekeepers a heartattack.
Great, what size rapid feeder fits in? Is it the 4 pint size?

Yeah the four pint ones work well. If it's cold they do not like going into the built-in feeder. This way you can put it above the cluster. I put fondant in old take-away tubs and put that upside down over the frames if needed. You can see how much is left through the cover board that is on the eke.

Latest posts

Back