oxalic/glycerin strips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi have many on here made the strips and how did they work out?From reading up on the subject the swedish sponge isn't the way to go on top of single brood the carboard strips/staples are best was wondering what people have found best to make these with?

I am going to try the staples if I can find out what the corrrect cardboard is.The jointing tape that some use is it any particular brand?

ked small strips of spontex cloth in oxalix.syrup mix last winter and the bees are looking good. Randy Oliver suggested that methos so thought I would give it a go.

First, last summer Vermont legalized the use of OA/GLY pads. Recently the USFDA has withdrawn the use. So be it. Anyway...
I used OA/GLY pads last summer. I did see some control on varroa population growth. I think it most useful in conjunction with other treatments.
I added pads in early May. At that time I noted two colonies with serious young mite populations in the drone brood. Surely a dead colony in August.
Checking those two colonies in July the brood was healthy, no noticeable IBS, and nice pearly white larvae. I think the pads should be replaced after a couple months once they are propolized. I would still use your post harvest treatment.

Hi have many on here made the strips and how did they work out?From reading up on the subject the swedish sponge isn't the way to go on top of single brood the carboard strips/staples are best was wondering what people have found best to make these with
Just make sure you're aware that these are illegal to use anywhere in Europe: only approved treatments are permitted. Also you should know that the experimentation with these has been only in Langstroth hives in US weather conditions, so if you have Nationals in damp parts of the UK or Ireland, their effectiveness is undefined.

Thank you for replies.I use single commercial brood boxes and generally our weather is wet.I remember Hivemaker telling me he was experimenting with the cardboard thats used to make beer mats but I can't track down a supply of that yet.

Thank you for replies.I use single commercial brood boxes and generally our weather is wet.I remember Hivemaker telling me he was experimenting with the cardboard thats used to make beer mats but I can't track down a supply of that yet.

Jenkins thank you for that it will get me started.Erichalfbee went on the sirane site will give them a ring and try and find the exact product Pete was using.

My understanding of the results of this treatment (anecdotally, from me following a lot of different people's experimentation with them inlcuding Randy Oliver) is that this is not a knock-down treatment; if you have a high mite-count this won't solve it.
But that applied with a low mite-count it will assist in keeping it low while your colony grows. In other words it is killing mites at roughly the same rate as they can reproduce.

Not an answer to the OP I realise, but I think it's important to define what "success" looks like and to use it appriopriately with that in-mind.
That being said, yes it's illegal in the UK.

Latest posts

Back