Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Oxalic Acid Vaporisers Which ones ?
I've seen as cheap as £30 going to £100 + some thin tin looking dishes to machined aluminium dishes. some will fit in entrance others under floor, some are Temp controlled does it make a difference ?
I'm looking to buy one this week but just wondering on peoples thoughts on all the different ones out there.
I was looking at this its thin enough to fit in entrance , but a bit on the expensive side, but looks to have a good build quality.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varroa-Ox...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
No up to 10 this year

2 types of vaporizers, passive (pan type) and active (pressurized). The later cost a lot more money ( and definitely need safety masks) but work quicker..
Comes down to time...passive are slow, active are fast. I can vape 12 hives in less than 30 minutes with active. This is total time including refilling with Apibioxal minus additives. Also are you going to use OA as sole varroa treatment? Involves 3-4 weekly shots in the autumn or use another method and vape once at Xmas? You have 10 hives, you might think about time vs cost here. Cheap is longer. It's your time.

2 types of vaporizers, passive (pan type) and active (pressurized). The later cost a lot more money ( and definitely need safety masks) but work quicker..
Comes down to time...passive are slow, active are fast. I can vape 12 hives in less than 30 minutes with active. This is total time including refilling with Apibioxal minus additives. Also are you going to use OA as sole varroa treatment? Involves 3-4 weekly shots in the autumn or use another method and vape once at Xmas? You have 10 hives, you might think about time vs cost here. Cheap is longer. It's your time.

I'm all for saving time, what type do you use ? Are the pressurised ones better for dosing OA, I've seen the ones at 400€ from EU are there any cheaper ones.
Before I do anything I like to check all avenues.

I'm all for saving time, what type do you use ? Are the pressurised ones better for dosing OA, I've seen the ones at 400€ from EU are there any cheaper ones.
Before I do anything I like to check all avenues.

I use a sublimox and vape from above using an eke with a hole for nozzle and sealed lid. Not everyone's choice but it suits me.
There are several other varieties such as the lego etc. They all require a 240v supply and the lega will need a high amp generator as requires a heat gun (paint stripper ) in addition.
There are gas heated ones and there is one that looked like a light saber and was reckoned to to do 100 hives an hour but utube video has become private. It was an astounding video in the sense that "MY" vaporizer is bigger than yours. It was!

I have been looking into this and the only option for diy version involves ethanol . I could make one of these very simply and post how if anyone is interested.

Passive does me fine. I can do 14 hives in about an hour and a half. Less if I get a move on. Mine came from eBay. German. Cost about £40. Old car battery cost me nothing. With 3 hives the OP is going over the top looking at active imo.

With 3 hives the OP is going over the top looking at active imo.
No up to 10 this year

With 10 it's a matter of how much you value your time, particularly if you are using vaping at a 4x weekly regime in the autumn. Only the user can decide the answer to that question. All we can do provide some facts for that decision.

My £5 DIY one can do three hives in about 15 minutes. It's the operator who is inefficient...

Thanks for replies,
My problem is I do over think things before I commit to getting anything new. I ask what may seem like stupid questions but its my way of getting as much info as I can. I will probably go with the Vaporiser but a which one I don't know yet, I want it to fit in the entrance not under floor, also I take it supers must be off for time of using ?
As anyone used a car starter pack instead of a battery ? something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-200...8&qid=1494918038&sr=8-1&keywords=jump+starter

Last edited:
Leisure battery would be best bet.

I use a 12v motorcycle battery with mine. Shoves out enough amps and is much lighter than a car battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxalic Acid Vaporisers Which ones ?
I've seen as cheap as £30 going to £100 + some thin tin looking dishes to machined aluminium dishes. some will fit in entrance others under floor, some are Temp controlled does it make a difference ?
I'm looking to buy one this week but just wondering on peoples thoughts on all the different ones out there.
I was looking at this its thin enough to fit in entrance , but a bit on the expensive side, but looks to have a good build quality.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varroa-Ox...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Run 2 vapourizers at once. 3 minutes vap, 3 mins cool the on to the next 2 hives. Doubles your speed.

Thanks for replies,
My problem is I do over think things before I commit to getting anything new. I ask what may seem like stupid questions but its my way of getting as much info as I can. I will probably go with the Vaporiser but a which one I don't know yet, I want it to fit in the entrance not under floor, also I take it supers must be off for time of using ?
As anyone used a car starter pack instead of a battery ? something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-200...8&qid=1494918038&sr=8-1&keywords=jump+starter

Beware of overinflated battery capacity claims.
The charging time in hours x the charging current in Amps should be roughly equal to the quoted capacity in AH. Usually the cheaper ones have a charging time x Amps about half the quoted capacity - or less.

Worth adding that for many pan type vaporizers you also need to make a special slide in underfloor (where the varroa drop board goes) to accommodate the pan. If vaping from underneath the open mesh floor. There have been one or two horror stories of frying bees and queens and scorching frames when varrox is slid inside the entrance and the heat sources is directly underneath the frames.
Also have to be careful with poly hives as it's possible to melt them.

Latest posts

Back