oxalic acid - Vap or Trickle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Just wondering what people use/recommend.

Small number of beehives so wont be investing in sublimox or similar so something more like a GasVap.

Would it be better to just trickle?

Thanks

I vape with a pan when about 5 - 8c, not opening means one dosen't crack the propalis seal.

Trickle can be done with a syringe costing 10p from the agricultural supplies shop.
I used the method initially but the idea of dousing them in a liquid when theyre trying to keep warm and dry didnt sit well
I also got spooked by stories of bees ingesting the mix.
Justified or otherwise I switched to vaping.
The cheapo 12v evaporators are not intended to last long- mine started to fall apart after half a dozen cycles.
Not wanting to spend hundreds on something full of electronics either I bought a gas vap and after mastering its idiosyncrasies Ive stuck with it.
It suits my needs and doesnt need a power supply .

Hi,

Just wondering what people use/recommend.

Small number of beehives so wont be investing in sublimox or similar so something more like a GasVap.

Would it be better to just trickle?

Thanks
I have 10 hives. I bought a Sublimox when I had 4

I bought a 12v £30 aluminium pan type form lithuaniai and it has done me well over the last 8-10years or more , not fallen to pieces yet.

My £25 pan type vape is also going strong after 10 years. Reading on here the gas vap sounds a bit temperamental. TTrickle OA kills open brood, so I only use it when away from main apiary

I did not know this. Thanks for the information. That would make it a no no for me.
The whole point is there shouldn’t be any brood hence the reason for a trickle later this month early Jan. Trickling is easy with minimum equipment so very much a case of pay your money take your choice…Yes the gas vap is a faff and temperamental.
Both methods will do the job, just go with what you prefer or can afford.

What you use can depend on your climate. Vaping has to be done when colonies are broodless. Here in the North, we’re not broodless in November. By then, the clusters are tight and the OA fumes can’t penetrate those clusters.
That’s why we have to dribble OA/1:1 syrup.

Has anyone ever torn a clustered colony apart midwinter to see if they actually  are broodless?

Just asking.

Albeit cynically....

There was a link to a youtube video posted last week that talked about research where someone had analysed that as far as I recall, and I think David Evans has posted some stuff about it too. I'll see if I can find the video.

James

Has anyone ever torn a clustered colony apart midwinter to see if they actually  are broodless?

Just asking.

Albeit cynically....
Yes quite often….what’s the issue?

Back