Overwintering an Apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe9052

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2xWBC,1xPolyNAT,1Apidea,14x12Nuc
Folks,
So far my experiment of over wintering an apidea consisting of a total of 10 frames and a feeder is doing well. I added a layer of fondant above the lower set of frames last weekend, they have been flying today.
Condensation was a problem over the summer and so I used my 3D printer to make a open mesh floor. Photo hopefully attached..

So far very pleased....

Brilliant use of a 3d printer, this technology is going to change the world!! What would you estimate the unit cost of making a floor? Hint hint!

i put 2 warholtz mini nucs on top of one another inside a normal 5 frame nuc with some insulation all around and they are still going.hope they make it to spring.

I did think about using a nuc box and placing the apidea inside, in the end a glued some 1inch poly insulation together and placed over the top...

Well, happy with the modified apidea. So far doing really well, and survived winter, although it wasn't cold. It is amazing to see how much Fondant is needed for them to survive. Checked yesterday, one complete frame of capped brood and nearly a frame of nectar. Well pleased.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in a floor being made for the apidea, send me a PM, I'm sure I can work something out-my other message deleted as it contained a link to my website....

Iv just read Ron Browns "Managing Mininucs" again. He successfully overwintered an Apidea double brood inside a 4 frame National nuc in the early 90's.

That's a great book, I have also read it. I had the idea to try and take one through winter, and then found the book you mentioned.

I succesfuly overwintered a colony this winter in a kieler mini-nuc with three levels. Colony was given fondant in late january and mid-february.

I have overwintered two Kielers alongside a number of Nucs. One Kieler is two storey, the other, three storey. I have previously overwintered bees in Kielers but have yet to try to over Winter in Apideas. The Kielers have a bit more space which is useful. No extra external cladding has been needed.

Latest posts

Back