Over wintering Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in that job system is very harmfull. A high dead rate of virgins.

Why?

I reared two queens on my first attempt. One side got immediately robbed out the first night I set it up, so I united and closed that entrance, but other than that it was no problem..........beginners luck I expect :sifone:.

Those two queens are now heading colonies of their own......

Frisbee

Hi Frisbee

Some find (not me) that with multiple Queens under one roof you can get problems.

Entrances close together mean the odd virgin may get confused on the return flight and end up in the wrong box.

If you have not sealed all the boxes well Queens will often find there way into next door.

Having said that, if the boxes are well made and entrances kept at the max distance possible as yours are they should work fine. Just close down that mesh floor.

Doubles work just fine for me with the added bonus it@s all standard kit.

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian..............I went to a lot of trouble to make sure it was bee tight inside and the entrances as far away from each other as possible. I also have solid topped hive stands and a block to put at the back so the OMF isn't as open as it would appear to be. :)

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back