Other hobbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much time for anything other than bees, I work a four day week and have 97 hives into the winter plus a few nuc's, most spare winter time is prepping for next season but recently gone back to my roots and started indoor climbing, I have psoriatic arthritis and find the exercise really helps keep the joints mobile. Also done a lot of sea fishing, mainly around Anglesey and two trips a year down to Looe for the wrecks and awesome conger/ling fishing.

We should get a days fishing in some time youre visiting john. The onlt use ive had from my Bonwitco 459 in the last few years is catching swarms in a bait hive on the cuddy roof.

I have had many hobbies and fads as we all do..hunting / shooting and fishing being my main one's over the years and keeping British wild Birds in big aviaries..

The hunting side will never leave me.. i gave my shotguns up in favour of my dogs but my trusty Air rifle stays by my side.. Dog and Gun is a good combination... the pooch retrieves what you shoot or catches what you miss (fur) ..
The Finch side of things is a different story.. i still love keeping them but i hate seeing them dieing... the reason they are dieing is through the big population of house sparrows in the ivy above the aviaries (disease) spreading little critters but they need a hand in life as there habitat is vanishing..
So my aviaries will be no more after this year.. but the Sparrows can still prosper.
Bee wise... it is Not a hobby anymore.. more like a job..:rolleyes:

No time anymore for fly fishing in the summer unfortunately but winter months I do like restoring and repairing old mechanical watches with a bit of leather craft thrown in

Vinyasa Flow yoga combined with general keep fit. Approx 4 hours/week
Walking
Gardening.
Cars - used to have a series of old cars.. (1929 Riley, 1946 Rover, 1967 Lotus Elan) but just car maintenance now. Old age has not yet stopped me.(yet)

Vinyasa Flow yoga combined with general keep fit. Approx 4 hours/week
Walking
Gardening.
Cars - used to have a series of old cars.. (1929 Riley, 1946 Rover, 1967 Lotus Elan) but just car maintenance now. Old age has not yet stopped me.(yet)

You're one of the few left that knows what points and condensers are

Mainly 'Wood Turning' - wooden bowls turned mainly from native hardwood that I have milled myself. I do enjoy a spot of 'Grayling' fishing weather permitting.

here is me 2p

Trustee for a charity (Humanity First) and run the older persons care team
Riding enduro, supermoto and trial bikes
Mosque tours - if any one fancies a tour of Britains biggest mosque (based at Morden at the end of the Northern Line)
regular crossfitting & do the 5:2 diet hoping to be a healthy older person (hit 50 soon)

You're one of the few left that knows what points and condensers are

A point is a badly spelt pint and a condenser is used in illegal whisky stills...

here is me 2p

regular crossfitting & do the 5:2 diet hoping to be a healthy older person (hit 50 soon)

Just a youngster then...

(One lesson I have learned from old age -in my 70s- is to protect your joints from excessive shocks and wear and ensure your back remains strong and flexible..)

Just a youngster then...

(One lesson I have learned from old age -in my 70s- is to protect your joints from excessive shocks and wear and ensure your back remains strong and flexible..)

yes been told to do more weights and more yoga ...

helps on the dirt bike when i fall off so i bounce easier and can lift the damn bike up easier !

Lots of hobbies if bees didn’t take my spare time including F1, my small holding, fishing, sea, trout and carp, astronomy, my grandson (probably my main one :) )and anything to do with wildlife, but that’s really my main job so probably not to be counted as a hobby.
S

Lots of hobbies if bees didn’t take my spare time including F1, my small holding, fishing, sea, trout and carp, astronomy, my grandson (probably my main one :) )and anything to do with wildlife, but that’s really my main job so probably not to be counted as a hobby.
S

If you find a job you love, you never work another day again!

2 stroke motorbikes. Yamaha rd400, honda ns400r, kawasaki a7 avenger etc
Brit bikes. Royal Enfield but not the Indian ones though the new Continental GT looks great.

80's BMW cars, Used to be E30's but as I've grown up it's now E28.

Basically anything mechanical that can be taken apart and reassembled.

Bit of woodworking and making/building stuff for the house.

Amateur Archaeology.

Digs in the Summer. Fieldwork and study in the Winter.

Latest posts

Back