Opening up hives at this time of year !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All

I look and read more than post which I do find very useful, but I can not get over the amount of new beeks opening up the hives now and checking through the frames like it is summer time , worrying them selves silly that they cant find the queen or eggs etc .

Or is it just me .....:calmdown:

Dont recall this last year or the year before with the amount of post's over the past couple of weeks .....

Grub

This is not summer time.

If you take one or two food frames off, you may move and look brood and store issues. No idea to search queen or do "full inspection".

.If the hive has no brood, you may open the hive ebven in -10C frost.
But you do not see much because bees are like porriage between frames,

I haven't opened hives up for weeks.

There should always be a reason for an inspection - bees are not toys to play with - A beekeeper should not be opening the hive just like we might take the dog out for a walk if we have got bored with watching the telly.

Are you opening hive for your or the bees sake?

generally if the bees are flying and it is above 10 degrees C and not hacking down with rain.............

did move a poly nuc into a polly hive as it was bursting at the gunnels (6 frames full of food and brood) yesterday.... thought it was pushing it a bit... but it was warm, still and dry.... HM waved at us as she dived between the frames!

When the guy who makes his living from his bees says he is shut down for winter and it does more harm than good to look.

It's time for the newbies esp to pay attention.

Give over. Leave them alone. If it's pear shaped there is truly not a lot that can now be done apart from feed.

PH

i have had this idea poo :spy:pooed before but if someone is desperate to check there bees, use a mirror to look under hive up at bottom of frames, this will show weather they are alright,but in winter they maybe up on the frames out of view

Opening hives is one thing. Going through all the frames is crazy, unless for a very good reason for doing so. New beeks doing anything inside the hive it is probably not good.

Some can put right any late season woes, some have no chance. Two hive owners have little chance of anything other than uniting and one colony owners, even less.

If you have twenty hives and they are active, removing the roof and crownboard for a quick check is entirely a different matter.

Don't recall last year? At this time last year we were in a mini heat-wave!

does a glass crown board not cause condensation with taking the roof of and the heat from the bees meet the cold air temperature ?

They aren't made of glass usually. The better ones are made of see through polycarbonate, so are quite good insulators.

Well said Redwood due to weather, I reduced a standard BB to a nuc. Hope weather continues.

I don't know where the BBC got that from as they get their info from the met office, not the first time the BBC has had it wrong

Same weather as in Juni and July.

So? It was NBG in most of June and July, so why should more of the same be better?

What is NBG

****** NBG National Bank of Greece
***** NBG Nederlands Bijbelgenootschap
**** NBG National Bank of Georgia
**** NBG Need Before Greed (Everquest game slang)
*** NBG National Bicycle Greenway
*** NBG Naval Beach Group
*** NBG National Botanical Gardens
*** NBG Natural Born Gamers (gaming clan)
*** NBG No Bloody Good
* NBG Narrow-Band Gaussian
* NBG Nothing But Green
* NBG National Britannia Group of Companies
* NBG Naval Base Guam
* NBG Network Border Gateway
* NBG Nevada Bobs Golf
* NBG New Business Group (various organizations)
* NBG Next Business Generation

Latest posts

Back