One of my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
One of my hives I've let the queen go into the super. Awhile back when I added the super, they queen started laying in the centre and was filling all other cells with honey thou they where uncapped and capped. We got a bit of bad weather so the bees started consuming the store's. Weather picked up again, all cells where filling up again so I added another super.

Now I've 2 supers and a brood box with 95% filled cells with BIAS and capped/uncapped honey, thou not one frame full capped honey. Hive teaming with bees.

Seeing as it's so late in the season, do I add another super or just start swapping some frames with wax Frames.

If the hive were mine, here in Vermont, I would feed them to winter weight and sort it out in the spring. The bees have built their nest and provisioned it as they see fit, and there's no use at this late date to try to change what they've done. Feed them up and be thankful that you have such a strong colony. They'll probably give you a nuc in the spring. Just my opinion keeping bees where winter comes early.

I'm only in my second year but I agree with Michael. Lots of bees and lots of honey, why disturb them? Feed them if you feel they need it but it sounds like there is lots if honey. Sort them out in spring.

You did not state if you got pollen stores, but if they are still brooding the uncapped nectar will soon go. Summer bees will soon die off now, so I would not put more boxes on. Just make sure they have enough winter stores.

If the hive were mine, here in Vermont, I would feed them to winter weight and sort it out in the spring. The bees have built their nest and provisioned it as they see fit, and there's no use at this late date to try to change what they've done. Feed them up and be thankful that you have such a strong colony. They'll probably give you a nuc in the spring. Just my opinion keeping bees where winter comes early.

Whatll happen thou if i feed, the weather changes for the good and theres no more room in the hive. I have winter feed ready there to feed but since the hive is near full, i as thinking is there even any need to fed them.

I'm only in my second year but I agree with Michael. Lots of bees and lots of honey, why disturb them? Feed them if you feel they need it but it sounds like there is lots if honey. Sort them out in spring.

I dont mind this. I wasnt even looking any honey from this hive. I was just curious to see how theyd do without a QE. Ive been surprised at how fast the hives fill compared to any time ive used a QE

You did not state if you got pollen stores, but if they are still brooding the uncapped nectar will soon go. Summer bees will soon die off now, so I would not put more boxes on. Just make sure they have enough winter stores.

They have plenty of stores. Just no frames that are fully capped yet. What im afraid of is if i feed, the queen will swarm. I know its late in the season but im near sure ive read on here a queen throwing queen cells so late in the season before.

Think that you do not have excluder and no supers. You just have boxes and frames.Put brood frames into lower box and food frames up. Then feed it full syrup.
Excluder uses to mix beekeepers head. It makes a barrier into brain.

Last edited:
If they are heavy enough don't feed for the time being still plenty of time to feed if need be - nights are amazingly warm in my neck of the woods anyhow. More space will become available through emerging brood and when the water is fanned off the nectar. I have been surprised how the configuration of the brood nest can change from week to week in those circumstances. There is no guarantee with swarming of course and the weather is warm. If it is this year's queen I would say you should be ok.

Latest posts

Back