Omg queen marking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it matters as perhaps like me you are lacking in the cone area..

What is a cone area? Shall we have a whip round to enable you to purchase an increase?
:confused:

Hi

My first attempt of queen marking ! , I found my queen an place to ring of thorns over her and got my pen ready but when I squeezed it covered her with green ink all over her back wings and part of her head . Will she survive or will the ink harm her

Advise needed
Thx

I don't take pleasure in this but thanks for this thread because I've to clip and mark my own and now I've gained some vital tips on not what to do. In saying that thou, I dare say there'll be a thread soon started by me after messing my own marking up

I don't take pleasure in this but thanks for this thread because I've to clip and mark my own and now I've gained some vital tips on not what to do. In saying that thou, I dare say there'll be a thread soon started by me after messing my own marking up

If you have problems, you can always pop her in a plastic bag filled with CO2. She'll go to sleep and you can mark her without worrying

At least some good has come out of my mistake

Always dab the marker lightly on the hive or somewhere to make sure there is no flood of paint.
I don't like the crown of thorns, I've seen queens faint in them.
.....I use one of those plunger cage markers.

:iagree:
More control and you can do it away from the hive and take your gloves off.

Just ballsed re-marking a queen just now. Lets see if she survives.

Transferred a nucleus into hive today, good ol' Mrs Swarm spotted the queen wandering around inside the poly nuc. Had intended to mark her but happier to get her among the frames, so she can wait until next time..

You're doing better than me. I can't even spot the queen in the swarm I collected never mind the big colony. Ever time I look I'm ready with my cage and pen but no luck.

Checked the two halves of my lang jumbo QR hive (using Cloake Board).. They have always been feisty.. rubber bands round trousers plus marigolds.. nasty nasty bees. Several QCs in each box .. expected.. I had to remove several frames from top box to make room for more uncapped brood and to enable me to lift it - four frames of capped honey weighing +/- 5 KG removed and it was now a more manageable +/- 30kg.

Just ballsed re-marking a queen just now. Lets see if she survives.

I was a little rushed in removing a cage from mine after marking so the paint wasn't dry and then I tried to ease it off but smeared marker down her wings onto her abdomen. Right mess. With the stripes she looked like a mummy bee. 2 weeks later only the thorax spot remained she cleaned up fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 things.

1. COT can slip suddenly inwards on comb and dissect the Q. You can shake you heid all you like I have seen it done.

2. If you mark a drone for practise just kill it. Much simpler than having various coloours parading around.

3. When clipping WAIT a sec as they often lift their legs and then the leg gets snipped too. Hence the story clipping leads to supercedure.

PH

3 things.

1. COT can slip suddenly inwards on comb and dissect the Q. You can shake you heid all you like I have seen it done.

2. If you mark a drone for practise just kill it. Much simpler than having various coloours parading around.

3. When clipping WAIT a sec as they often lift their legs and then the leg gets snipped too. Hence the story clipping leads to supercedure.

PH

I have the slight advantage with my Crown of Thorns in that I am on plastic foundation so it won't go through. I was worried it wouldn't go in far enough to trap her but it turned out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're doing better than me. I can't even spot the queen in the swarm I collected never mind the big colony. Ever time I look I'm ready with my cage and pen but no luck.

My mentor showed me a handy method to make life easier. Take out all the frames that don't have brood on them. The space the remaining frames out with a couple of inches gap between them. That stops the queen running from frame to frame so it give you more chance of finding her on one frame.

I had a couple of swarms and had struggled to find the queen until I tried this method - found both first time through.

Both now marked I am glad to say with a neat little dot on their back.

I have done my others by hand but thought I would give the COT a go. Going to stay handheld I think. (Even if I do get a nervous shaky hand and fear making her go pop!)

Pleased to report the punk queen is still going strong.

Back