Omf

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred Scuffle offering more 'advice' and inappropriate comments. Clearly still rattled after a previous scuffle where his feathers were ruffled after posting poppycock.

Here we have one beekeeper claiming lots of bees being lost in the middle of winter from a hive which maybe should have been quiescent, but were not for probably one simple reason. A reason that the OP did not analyse or even think about. Well, now we seem to have two? - not really sure, but if checking it out with a couple hives will most definitely lead to a definitive result in next to no time. Lets forget the experience of the thousands of hives with OMF over the last few decades.

Clearly the non-thinkers hope to be in ascendancy over those who have adopted the OMF as a better method, or at least as good as a solid floor, for overwintering their colonies. Back to matchsticks under the crownboard might be their next negative advancement?

Last year I had one hive that lots of dead bees on the floor outside for several days I a row. It was cold and windy but the other two hives were unaffected. I took a sample of bees and had them inspected and nothing was found.

''Inpected for disease'' what for, in the middle of winter? By whom? NBU labs? Somehow I doubt it. Probably a check for nosema. No mention of treatments - oxalic trickling which may have affected one colony more than the others (dose rate?). No reason given for why they were flying. Nothing really substantive at all really, was there? Just one hive of three with dead bees in front. Then no more because they had perhaps cleared the floor of dead bees, were no longer flying, or one of several other reasons for the observation. Yes, one observation with no analysis and jumping to the first and only conclusion considered. Real science going on here? Or more poppycock? Was this observation reproducible? I somehow doubt it very, very much.

There now, ''last year'' - actually in the midle of winter when bees would not be expected to be flying every day. But not mentioned in the OP. ''Lots'' but no hard data. Just a subjective assessment.

Pompous words expected... You didn't disappoint and your curmudgeonly non advice is if nothing else consistent....

Phrases such as 'non-thinker', 'I doubt it', and 'feathers ruffled' are condescending terms and just prove you like to play the supposedly superior self appointed Beekeeping Forum bully... A bit pathetic really but you have your niche here and I'm sure you could be a better person / poster as opposed to being, well just a judgemental critic. Nothing ruffled here, I just can't stand pedantry and pomposity in this day and age.. Top tip Olive : Google 'pedantry'...

A little bit of practical advice would be preferable to the your one-upmanship contest every now and then Olivia.... Try it.... You may even like it... Everyone was a newish beek at some point and your replies to some of the posts on here are by far quite unhelpful, and usually just critical. This approach will put most beeks off from posting if that's the response they can expect from yourself...

Indeed with beekeeping the devil is almost always in the detail, but at least getting the poster's name correct when replying is a good start.. Just saying Olive..... Fred Scuffle aka Scuttle ;-)

Ps.. Regarding matchsticks I'd suggest putting a few lit ones under your PC would be a reasonable approach if you wish to continue in this vain... Happy to enter into meaningful dialogue if you can manage it... Great idea though, let's just talk about beekeeping... I'm missing it due to this exchange......

Last edited:
Freda,
No more than your, probably drink related, early mornig whines/snipes/rants. Admit it you are not yet in the right league to be giving out advice and are apparently (from my vantage point) unable to think clearly, but are boosted by something late in the evenings (just looking at your avatar gives an impression).

You have likely given no useful advice, ever, on the forum - just a few isolated 'observations' maybe?

Well demonstrated where I referred to your posting as poppycock. Not seen any constructive comments from you lately, if ever. You also need to go back to school to be able to spell vein or use vain in the correct context. You started being obnoxious these last three(?) evenings. Go away and come back when you have something useful to post, is my advice.

You have clearly ignored every option I have given, suggested or implied on this thread. Made mainly only personal comments. Do try playing the ball ocasionally - it might make you think properly for a change. Good day freda. Scuttle off to somewhere where you are not out of your depth.

And here we go again . The down hill slope . One reasonable question and it turns to pathetic playground jibe . As a newbee i find this sad and very off putting .

If some of the threads, or the posts on them bother you, just move on.
I just sit back and watch.

:lurk5:

Can admin please step in and try to stop this childish nonsense between these two. Maybe the "naughty step" is called for.

here we go again-

Just look back at his posts over the last fortnight. Maybe you might notice a trend....

Perhaps I don't suffer fools that well.

here we go again-

Just look back at his posts over the last fortnight. Maybe you might notice a trend....

Perhaps I don't suffer fools that well.

Here we go again indeed.... Actually Olive I work nights hence the time I usually post at, and your continued attempts to insult are misplaced indeed.... Naughty Olive... BTW, the avatar is an image from Google when I typed in 'bee swarm'.... Pompous assumptions yet again.... For goodness sake Olive, what planet are you on is the only question I'm asking.. I'm really bored now. When people stand up to you it's not quite the same as dishing out the insults is it?

At the risk of getting back on topic. There is no perfect solution.
The major point, to me at least, is most colonies of bees will survive winters with open open mesh floors and even with matchsticks under ventilated crown boards. Emphasis on survive.
I would have though the issue is more about how well, or strong, the colony is come spring.
Geographic location will also play a role in this. Methods used in the relatively balmy SW or southern coastal regions where winters are generally not as harsh as say The Lake District or Scotland may not work as well as methods used in those regions.
I have one apiary on the edge of the North York moors and its always a few degrees colder than my home apiary most times of the year. There is a 1000 ft difference in height within a few miles.
I was never able to successfully overwinter smaller colonies in wooden nucleus with or without OMF in this region. Since switching to poly nuc's I have (to date) not lost a single one. Hence I have developed a preference for poly hives as well, the colonies are much stronger and further advanced (brood wise) that those overwintered in wooden hives (usually!). I close the floors up as I think it is beneficial for overwintering bees in my area. It might make little difference if you live somewhere else with different winter conditions. But you need to compare and contrast what works in your region.
These diverse geographic locations and their micro-climates may go someway to explaining some of the controversy that exits about the use of OMF and whether they should be closed or open for wintering.
However as we haven't really had a winter worthy of the name for a few years it is a bit of a mute point, but noteworthy that losses go up in bad cold winters, suggesting preparations were not good enough to cope with extreme conditions.
I like to prepare for the worst.

Ladies and Gents. We all share the same interest, some commercially but most as hobby bee keepers. Many have years of experience and others very little and this forum demonstrates that we all manage our bees in a variety of different ways. I have certainly learnt and had cause to reconsider things thanks to the advice and views expressed on this forum. Unlike some I have never knowingly met any of you and therefore take you all on face value as being genuine and passionate bee keepers. Whilst I often do not agree with some suggestions or observations, I only challenge views by offering an alternate option and fail to see that when another person disagrees that it is in any way an affront to my intellect or to my ability as a beekeeper. I can choose to take or ignore the advice given. I therefore find it to be a little saddening when people who have previously apparently not had any personal rancour other than disagreeing on this forum, should resort to disrespecting each other so vociferously. The great advances made in the history of nations is that differing voices have been allowed to drive change by force of argument for the benefit of the many. Surely in our small world we should all be allowed to express views but expect them to be challenged without taking personal affront and then looking to garner support from the wider forum. If the forum is not an open arena for people are able to ask daft questions and receive respectful advice, then the forum becomes the domain of the few who all think alike and those who do not will be driven elsewhere leaving the forum as the dying edifice of the myopic.
Please let us all operate in a spirit of learning and shared experience so we can all benefit and become better bee keepers for the benefit of our respective bees.

Latest posts

Back