Oil seed rape?????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyphibb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering how everyones bees are doing on the OSR this year,I have been hearing mixed reports localy but the weather would have a lot do do with that, Look forward to your replies.

I thought that the nearest rape to my farthest hives was too far away. I saw foragers returning with yellow backs, would that be OSR pollen?

I thought that the nearest rape to my farthest hives was too far away. I saw foragers returning with yellow backs, would that be OSR pollen?

Yellow dot on the head, I have been told.

Mine have brought some OSR in very little on a warm day, so I assume it is fairly far away phew.

large loads of yellow pollen with a distinctive yellow mark on head. they will fly some distance to reach it.

large loads of yellow pollen with a distinctive yellow mark on head. they will fly some distance to reach it.
Mine would have done, but it's been too cold and now the flowers are going over :(

Mine did well for three/four days with 1st supers 3/4 filled but its been too cold lately and I bet most has been eaten. I managed a quick look in one in my garden this afternoon poly 14x12 nine seams of bees and not a lot of stores at all will need to be fed tomorrow but the rape hives should be ok if it warms up later in the week as predicted. Rape seems to be going over quite quickly so apart from building up the stocks not really worth the time moving them looks like another poor start.

Cold start has meant some of the plants have only 30% of their flowers so far. Hopefully this means a good full season.

Now we have the sun, UNLEASH THE BEES OF WAR!!!!!!!!

Great to see honey being made at long last...supers put on on over last weekend are on the way to being full (given drawn comb) with supers containing few foundation pretty much drawn out and starting to fill. Some fields have only just started to flower - people with access to those should have a good crop hopefully.

I stood between 3 hives last night just after 9pm and it was like someone had left an air conditioning unit going. Which is exactly what the bees are doing of course, thanks to the rape.

east coast ireland, OSR is only starting to flower, which is great timing as the past few weeks the weather has be horrible. today a nice 16 degrees and little to no wind.

All hives proper busy today, as if a switch has been flicked after the last couple of crap weeks

There are maybe a dozen fields of rape in flower in foraging distance - happy days :party:

OSR Update

Oilseed out in force in North Wilts. half my colonies have taken almost a super each up to last weekend - amazing considering the weather. This week's improvement will see the taps open !

KR

S

Hoping to find the OSR is yielding tomorrow - been warm enough all week - 7 colonies right on top of it, so fingers crossed!

OSR coming in fast, so decided to demarre them

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
After finishing a short holiday in Devon/Somerset, I was driving through Wiltshire yesterday, it was 25 degrees, massive fields of OSR in full bloom in all directions. I was very envious.
Back to reality in Ireland now, no OSR, about 12 degrees and lashing rain.

After finishing a short holiday in Devon/Somerset, I was driving through Wiltshire yesterday, it was 25 degrees, massive fields of OSR in full bloom in all directions. I was very envious.
Back to reality in Ireland now, no OSR, about 12 degrees and lashing rain.

It's supposed to be sunny & 20C tomorrow, and a field of OSR has suddenly appeared on the horizon (1.6km according to Google maps), with the flowers just blooming, so I suspect that'll be on the foragers' shopping list next week.

Latest posts

Back