oil existing hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailsaboat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Was just comparing the hive I built last year with my new(fully home made!) hive and its just starting to show its age.
Now, I don't mind the discoloration but it's a 'bees on a budget' hive so I'm not convinced it's of the best quality wood, so I think protecting the wood a little would be beneficial.

So, my question is, can I coat the outside of the hive with linseed oil with my ladies in residence? Or is that not advised.

do you just have the one colony?

why not take the opportunity on a warm day to swap the frames into the new hive. spend the winter making good the old one.

Cedar is supposed to 'weather' to a silver-grey colour. And not rot, if the water can drain off. Just watch out for any knots ...

But its your call whether you prefer the natural patina or some treatment colour.

Was just comparing the hive I built last year with my new(fully home made!) hive and its just starting to show its age.
Now, I don't mind the discoloration but it's a 'bees on a budget' hive so I'm not convinced it's of the best quality wood, so I think protecting the wood a little would be beneficial.

So, my question is, can I coat the outside of the hive with linseed oil with my ladies in residence? Or is that not advised.

You might consider one of the water based wood treatments ... such as the Ronseal Shades range which is safe for the bees, water based and very qucick drying (tack free in miutes on a warm day).

But, if your hive is Cedar (not pine) then regardless of the quality of the cedar it will eventually weather down to the lovely silver colour. The initial darker stripes are just part of the weathering process and if you apply linseed oil it will just darken the darker bits - if it's cedar then best just leave it to achieve its own 'patina' - waste of time putting anything on it.

I used Boiled Linseed on my cedar hive and it has retained a really nice red colour and seems to keep water out well. I'd agree with Rab in that it might be too sticky to apply when bees are still about and running on surface as takes a good 2 days to soak in. I agree, maybe change them across to new hive and tart up the other as winter project?

i've done mine with linseed oil (danish oil) as they too are budget ones and a little knotty .I'll let you know in 50 years if it worked :)

if it's full of bees i would maybe do it late at night or when they settle down for winter as it is a little smelly when you are putting it on and very runny. They say use a cloth but i found it easier with small brush.

Thanks for the replies.
I built the second hive because I managed to get a second colony going - so both hives are now occupied.
i don't mind the silver appearance, it was more of a protection/longevity question. The wood definitely feels of a lesser quality (no reflection on supplier, it was a lot cheaper)

I oiled it when I assembled it beginning of last year, so maybe other types of treatment wont take now??

Waiting until they've clustered and re-oiling then sounds like a good compromise.

Cheers all

Latest posts

Back