Odd ball tips that realy work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipa

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Here is one to get this thread going. Please add yours.

If you are having trouble cleaning beekeeping detritus from items that you can't clean with the usual methods, here is a tip that really does work.

Use Huggies Pure baby wipes, they must be the "pure" type.

I cleaned a friends leather beekeeping gloves that were almost black, now they look and feel almost new.

Cover your clear plastic crown boards with clear sticky back plastic. When the propolis build up makes it difficult to see through the cover replace the dirty film with a fresh one. Any glue residue can be removed using olive oil.

Not so much Odd, but small useful tip I tried and worked, and have not seen it mentioned before.

After swarm collection from a post,tree etc, whilst trying to get stragglers into your skep, box etc. Spray location bees swarmed to with air freshener to negate attractant queen pheromone, thus encouraging stragglers to go to their new home, which hopefully they are being summoned to by the other housed bees.

Last edited:
Not so much Odd, but small useful tip I tried and worked, and have not seen it mentioned before.

After swarm collection from a post,tree etc, whilst trying to get stragglers into your skep, box etc. Spray location bees swarmed to with air freshener to negate attractant queen pheromone, thus encouraging stragglers to go to their new home, which hopefully they are being summoned to by the other housed bees.

Yep, done that myself and it definitely helps :iagree:

A tip I had was to use WD40 as its fish oil apparently, and the bees don't like it.

Dave

Can use it instead of newspaper when combining also

Here is one to get this thread going. Please add yours.

If you are having trouble cleaning beekeeping detritus from items that you can't clean with the usual methods, here is a tip that really does work.

Use Huggies Pure baby wipes, they must be the "pure" type.

I cleaned a friends leather beekeeping gloves that were almost black, now they look and feel almost new.

Flip, if they can do that, what do they do to babies backsides?

Not bee related but you can save a lot of money on personalised number plates by changing your legal name by deed poll

NEH 275K

A tip I had was to use WD40 as its fish oil apparently, and the bees don't like it.

Dave

The bees may not like it but not because it made of fish oil. The Snopes urban myth site says:

As for the claim the "basic ingredient" in WD-40 is "fish oil," it's a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being "solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic" (also known as Stoddard Solvent):
solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60%
petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe), 15% to 25%
corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10%
wetting agent unregulated, 1% to 10%
fragrance unregulated, 0% to 1%
carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%

see http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

So, no fish - largely petro-chemical! Most of the ingredients, I think, will kill bees.

CVB

:iagree:

Flip, if they can do that, what do they do to babies backsides?

Well, spotted Swarm. Sadly, a lot of baby products contain toxins and then we wonder why there is a lot of babies with eczema!

Well, spotted Swarm. Sadly, a lot of baby products contain toxins and then we wonder why there is a lot of babies with eczema!

Actually, they don't. The requirements for such things is quite strict so sneaking a poison in is rather difficult, not to mention bad for business. Unfortunately, a lot of alternative sources make wild unsubstantiated claims that take on a life of their own, like this one.

Latest posts

Back