Observation Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph333

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 WBC , 1 Poly National, 2 x rose hives and an Observation Hive
Hi

It may be a little early yet but need some advice on overwintering my 9 frame observation hive. It has 6 brood and 3 supers and is 3 deep. The girls , a swarm ,struggled a bit to start which i put down to damp but after a few adjustments at the entrance they now seem happy.This is a usually damp wet part of Scotland but they will be in my Summer house if i decide to keep them in this hive.So i know there are a lot of ifs and buts. What is the overall opinion though try it or would it be safer to overwinter in a polly nuc?Pics in my album.

thanks again
Stephen

Put them in a hive, pray for some good weather, nurture them through winter, take a bee-keeping course and burn the obs.hive

Sorry if this is a little harsh and welcome to the world of bee-keeping

I never overwinter in an observation hive- and a decent poly hive 11 frame brood box is a good idea. Big 2:1 syrup feed to help them develop those extra frames and store feed.Just weigh down the roof as less stable in high winds. Warmth and dry is everything for winter.

My obs hive is only 5 brood, one of which I raise for viewing. But it is a great way to demo to the public about the wonder of bees :hurray:- so don't listen to old McDuff. Bah humbug.

Put them in a nuc.

I cannot see the use to be honest of a three deep observation hive.

The whole point is to see what is going on and with that number of frames the action is mostly going to be out of sight.

One frame deep is the way to go too see properly.

PH

Thanks everyone

A NUC for the Winter it is then. Still see a lot of bees (and what they get up to) even with it being 3 deep.Observed the Queen once though she seems to have retired to the dark now (that is where she belongs anyway). Loads of bees and they seem happy will know better into my second year if a success. No brace comb on the glass so at least the bee space seems correct. I am happy the girls are happy :)

Back