nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denise washington

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4+2 nucs
hi just need some more advice since I had my bees poisoned I have not got them to a good size colony would I be better over wintering them in a nuc or leave them in the brood box
thanks denise

How many frames of bees are there?
If only about 6 then I would def polynuc them. Cramped cosy is better than cold space.

hi just need some more advice since I had my bees poisoned I have not got them to a good size colony would I be better over wintering them in a nuc or leave them in the brood box
thanks denise

If you leave them in the brood box then dummy it down to just the frames in use and then put insulation either side in the spaces. If you want to keep it simple use one dummy board and fill the end space with insulation. Insulation on top of the crown board as well.

Are they still foraging and is the queen still laying ... if so you need to allow enough room for stores and brood before finally feeding them and winterising.

You need about 7/8 frames of stores to see a reasonable size colony through the winter in a 14 x 12 brood box. If they don't have this and they are no longer bringing stuff in then feed ...

hi all I have about 5 frames of bees and they are still getting food and got plenty of brood and lava.they are still bringing food in but I have had a lot of trouble with wasps
I think I will put them in a nuc and hope they get through winter.
anyway thanks for advice
denise

Latest posts

Back