Nuc to full colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long does it take from nuc to full colony , and yes i am a new starter.

Hey sparky fairly new t this beekin game myself second summer, bought my first full colony march 2012 and got so overwhelmed by it i bought another hive and then a five frame nuke of a local beek ,, after puttin the nuke on the stand where new hive was goin for a couple of days to let them acclimatise and get orientated i soon got em in there new 14x12 b,box with couple of frames of sealed brood some pollen and honey a couple of drawn frames and the rest foundation .
i had no intention of takin honey or even t expect em to draw any foundation in the one added super , i then fed em gallons of sugar syrup and left them to build up there colony size for winter.
This spring they emerged in better shape than my full colony and by the end of may had four frames of capped honey in the newly drawn out supers ,, in short sparky dont expect much this summer but help them build up strength for next season and use this year to watch em and learn from um gud luk.

It depends...there are so many variables (number of bees, health status, quality of queen, strain of bee, local climate, local weather, availability of forage etc. etc.) that it is hard to even give a general guide. My first nuc went from 4 frames to a full colony preparing to swarm in just 6 weeks but another with nosema never built up much at all and died out during the winter.

Sorry not to be able to give a more definitive answer.

Rich

Back