Nuc question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just had a look at a nuc (p*ynes 14x12) and it is full – all 6 frames are full with bias and stores but no Q cells – what would be the best course of action. There is a big flow on at the moment but the weather is set for not so good next week so would you take a chance and leave them, put them in a full size box, replace an undrawn frame or any other alternatives?
These were from a cast swarm that I collected in late June.

Just had a look at a nuc (p*ynes 14x12) and it is full – all 6 frames are full with bias and stores but no Q cells – what would be the best course of action. There is a big flow on at the moment but the weather is set for not so good next week so would you take a chance and leave them, put them in a full size box, replace an undrawn frame or any other alternatives?

As there is a flow on I would put them in a bigger box, dummy them down, give them a couple of extra frames of foundation to draw out (ideally - if you have some drawn out comb that would be best).

Don't give them the full box, insulation in the spaces either side of the dummy boards and also on top as it is getting colder - less energy needed to be expended on heating the colony and drying the stores. Then, when the flow has slowed or the weather goes downhill, feed them more with syrup and check whether they need more space.

What you need for winter is more bees and more stores ...

This is what I would do .. but ...

I agree with pargyle, it is in need of extra space dummy down and insulate, or place in polyhive with 2 extra frames fill void in broodbox with insulation.

You could move them to a larger box but if I was you I would keep them as they are.

Another plus one to Pargyle.

It has got to be the simple move as long as you have the kit. They are likely going to need to overwinter on a brood or close to, so just do it.

I would only use one dummy or divider. I keep things simple.

I am heading into a similar scenario, I made up 10 nuc's in the same polys on 1st August, 5 std deep and 5 14x12, all 6 frame.
The std deeps are getting congested now, the 14x12 will be ok I think.
I will be checking again in the next few days and any that I feel would be better in a brood box will get one adopting the rationale as per Pargyle answer. Entrance space small and maybe the monitor board in for a couple of weeks, no flow here so it will be feed all the way with the odd frame manipulation to boot.
I haven't tried the feeder in the nuc's for syrup but instead put some fondant in it, didnt want to risk drowning or seepage, the fondant seems to have worked well. Will of course be syrup if they move to broods.

Last edited:
Back