Nuc Box or Travel Box.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allotment-bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am going to the New Forest to collect a swarm of bees that a friend has hived for me.Bringing them back to Taunton area.
Would they be ok to travel in a nuc box,or,should I get a travel box?(Yet to buy either).
Concerned about ventilation.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am going to the New Forest to collect a swarm of bees that a friend has hived for me.Bringing them back to Taunton area.
Would they be ok to travel in a nuc box,or,should I get a travel box?(Yet to buy either).
Thanks in advance for any help.

I use paynes poly NUC boxes for both. Also buy a water mister, and mist the bottom of the box if concerned about them being to hot. For that sort of journey, not really necessary.

If possible, box them in the day, have a cup of tea, and lock them in at dusk to ensure you get as many bees as possible.... or, wait until Sunday because the weather is forecast to be foul.

Paynes can sell you a 'travel screen' for £8 to fit their nuc. Its an option lid with a mesh panel (don't use the coversheet at the same time!) It allows for through ventilation and convenient water misting of the top mesh. Probably not needed for a couple of hours at cool temperatures. However, the bigger the colony, the more heat they will generate.

Two important points to note
- don't put the nuc on anything soft, because sinking in, the bottom mesh would get blocked.
- secure things properly. The nuc to the vehicle, the lid to the nuc, and the entrance (in closed or vent position). Don't scrimp on the tank tape! Sure you are going to drive gently, but a couple of thousand bees can make almost any situation much worse!

PS water mister - as for tomato plants, etc. Under a quid in Wilkinson's.

Hi allotment-bee,
Travel screen is a must and misting. It is amazing how much heat stressed out bees can generate! Place nuc so that frames are in line with the movement of the car and that they are a close fit in the box i.e. dummied down to stop them moving back and forth killing bees or potentially HM. Hope they settle OK.

Thank you all for your advice. I`m going to ABeeC supplies this afternoon to pic up a nuc box etc.
We will be driving home slowly and carefully.

Back