Not feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Noob here. So I installed a nuc into a new HTBH 8 days ago along with an inverted jar/pierced-lid filled with 1-1 syrup. Had a look yesterday - 4 combs, largest about a 4 inch drop from bar 2. Saw the Queen, lots of eggs no capper brood or larvae seen, bit of pollen and nectar too. But they are not taking the syrup - from my reading I'd expected then to take a point a day. Should I be worried?
Cheers
Neil.

Have you got the feed inside the tbh or on the top bars?...You may need to give the jar a little shake to get a few drops on the lid so they can find it.

Thanks for reading. Yes it's in the TBH about 6 inches from the cluster. I've given it a shake - in fact they quite quickly go to the drops but still nothing from the jar.

I'm no expert, but I have a couple of thoughts. If it was an established nuc it may not have the same urgency about building comb that a swarm would have which may be why they seem slow to start. Also, it sounds as if they are foraging well enough to store surplus food, so it doesn't seem to be a lack of food that is holding them back. In my (very) humble opinion feeding them won't "force" them to make wax, but it will help them when they are in the mood. Bees do what bees do,when they do, which doesn't include reading books or forums!

I'd leave them to it without feed if they're foraging. Feeding a TBH is a bit more fraught as there's a chance any stored syrup comes back in your honey. Overfeeding will also mean they backfill the brood area which can lead to swarming.

Ok thanks, I'll worry less. They do seem to be foraging - certainly flying off purposefully and in a uniform direction. I'm seeing a bit more pollen coming in today too..

Silly question but guess you have lifted jar off the floor for them to access holed lid? If you have used wood is access high enough or blocking your punched holes. If your only using a jar to feed it will make little odds as to what ends up in your honey unless you give them 40 jars full, give them a couple to get them going, no harm done

Thanks Ian, yea the jar is resting between two strips of wood and certainly high enough. I have a mesh floor so I did wonder if it was too high and that they needed to stand on something under the lid to feed but I've since seen a few happily hanging from my jar and exploring - just not drinking.
Blue sky: I've not done something daft with my sugar recipe have I. 1 kilo of sugar in 1ltr of water - is right right?
Cheers
Neil

Yes 1-1 thats fine.......................

Looks like they're taking some - about a 3rd gone. Guess I'll leave them to it now and aunt they're just taking what they want.
I don't add Thymol, should I swap the jar after 2 weeks or would other leave it longer.
Thanks in advance.
Neil

Back