Not enough bees put into nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I made up a nuc (poly) this afternoon: two frames of brood with the queen and adhering bees, plus a couple of frames worth of bees shaken on on top, plus two frames with stores in. I also gave them some 1:1 syrup to feed on if needed.

Now I'm back home, I'm suddenly wondering if I put enough bees in. I don't want the queen to go off lay (she will be heading up this years bee 'stud'), but I'm not sure how now to add more bees?

Can I just shake in a frame or two more nurse bees from any hive? Or should I shake in more bees from the hive she came from. The nuc has been put about 20yds from the hive where the queen and bees originated.

Thanks for any advice!

Well all/most of your foraging bees will return to the original location so have a look in a few days time and if it looks a bit sparse shake a few more frames in

Shake a few more frames in from where though? Any old hive? Or the original colony? It's a double brood, so lots of bees!

If you take a frame on emerging brood, those bees stay home.
Shake bees return at home.

Feeding a faint nuc invites robbers. It is better only give food frame with pollen. Those shook bees may start robbing.

If you move the nuc 3 km, all stay at home.

Last edited:
D'oh. Of course! It was all a bit rushed. I will check in a few days and, if things don't seem right, I will add some bees and take to my alternative site.

D'oh. Of course! It was all a bit rushed. I will check in a few days and, if things don't seem right, I will add some bees and take to my alternative site.
That sounds good, because it takes 2-3 weeks that new bees start TO carry pollen.

Like may others do, I plug the entrance of the newly made up nuc with fresh grass. By time it dries out and shrinks flying bees will relocate to wherever you put it instead of returning to the original site. Alternatively take it to a completely new site at least a mile away.

Checked on them today during a break in the weather (Perspex crown board). I could see 2 and a half to three seams of bees, so I think they're OK. No sign of robbing, and the bees from the other hives within 50yds were out foraging, so I'm hoping they'll be good to go without any further intervention!

Are you sure you needed to feed as well? It is not normally done with a new nuc if frames of stores are given as the bees will likely store even more. Bear in mind they will be foraging as well and the queen needs space to lay.

No, I wasn't sure! But there are two empty drawn combs in there too (for brood or new stores) and I was worried I might lose the foragers back to their original colony at a time of terrible weather. I'll be checking it next weekend, so I'll remove any store bound comb and replace with some empty drawn or foundation. And if they've been going crazy with storing the syrup, I'll pour off the remainder to use another time.

Back