Newby from South Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosco

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Total newby here. I have loved the idea of beekeeping for ages and I'm now hoping to get my own hive in the Spring.

Looking forward to reading and learning in the forum.

I totally love honey but thats not the main reason!

Cheers

Rosco

welcome Rosco - few bits of advice -
1)join your local BKA - hopefully they'll have a beginners course over the winter - this will set you in good stead for the spring and you will have knowledgeable people to advise you along the way and help you get your bees.
2) Open a separate bank account so the other half won't see how much you're spending on kit (also helps if you have an accomodating and discreet relative to take in all the parcels!) :D

1)join your local BKA - hopefully they'll have a beginners course over the winter - this will set you in good stead for the spring and you will have knowledgeable people to advise you along the way and help you get your bees.
2) Open a separate bank account so the other half won't see how much you're spending on kit (also helps if you have an accomodating and discreet relative to take in all the parcels!) :D

:iagree:

And you are very welcome to the forum - a lot of experienced beekeepers on here with a real wealth of knowledge, I've learned an awful lot of the past year here

... - a lot of experienced beekeepers on here with a real wealth of knowledge...

Some even who actually do as they advise ... Really!

Thanks for all the advice folks.

So far I have been to one of the local meetings and will be joining the association at the next meeting. They are running a beginners course in the spring and someone has offered to show me around their hives in spring too.

I really want to get my own bees in the spring too and will try and buy gear in the sales in January!

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice folks.

So far I have been to one of the local meetings and will be joining the association at the next meeting. They are running a beginners course in the spring and someone has offered to show me around their hives in spring too.

I really want to get my own bees in the spring too and will try and buy gear in the sales in January!

Cheers
Hi Rosco
A little cautionary tip . Please hold back from bee purchase until you have read a lot , taken the course and most of all worked with beekeepers for a whole season .Enthusiasm is fine but until you know whether of not you and bees are compatible or have grasped the size of commitment required ,you could become disillusioned very quickly. This often happens to newbies , because they find it overwhelming , and find themselves playing catch up with the bees (Bees do their own thing )
Believe me I'm not trying to put a damper on your commencing beekeeping, it's just that I've seen the scenario i've just described over and over again .
My advice to newbies is always the same .
Read, read read .
Latch on to a bee keeper .
Work with him/her for a full season .
Then think about buying in your bees .
This way you will have gained enough knowledge, experience to select hive type , bee type and to avoid lots of pitfalls .
As a none swimmer you wouldn't contemplate diving into the north sea for example ? .
Welcome to the forum . I hope you become one of the better bee keepers by exercising a little restraint ,it will pay dividends in the long run :)
VM

So what's the main reason ?

Always enjoyed working the land. So far I've only got hens but if I had a bit of money to get started I would have a smallholding. And I've always been fascinated by bees. Getting my own and maybe producing honey is the logical next step (in my head).

Work with him/her for a full season .

Thanks VM, I do appreciate your advice but having spoken to the folks at the BKA meeting I was under the impression I would be able to get my own bees soon and it got me really excited. Hopefully someone from the association will be able to help me if I get stuck. And in the mean time I will read as much as I can on the forum. Thanks.

Back