Newbie question: Where (and when) do I get bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am making no promises for next year but if I think I may have a spare swarm I will let you know. We are not a million miles apart, i have one other before you though ...... but, I would suggest you get them from someone really local who can help you if you need it and who can set you going with a good strain of bees.
Thanks, Enrico. I love the idea of attracting my own swarms with traps I have made. That's the next building job - a few traps, and then hunt for places to leave them out next spring.

Swarms can be trouble, so take care to check for temper and disease; if in doubt ask for a second local opinion.
I agree they may come with their problems but as a beginner it’s great to be able to work with ‘free bees’. You’ll inevitably make mistakes and it’s much less demoralising to potentially lose a colony that originated as a free swarm than it is to lose a colony you paid £250 for. It’s also great fun catching swarms in bait hives!

I agree they may come with their problems but as a beginner it’s great to be able to work with ‘free bees’. You’ll inevitably make mistakes and it’s much less demoralising to potentially lose a colony that originated as a free swarm than it is to lose a colony you paid £250 for. It’s also great fun catching swarms in bait hives!
As 'that newbie', I very much agree. I don't mind in the least spending ££ on hives and equipment for the bees, but with free swarms available if you 'know how', I do mind paying £££ for bees that might well move home without a 'thank you and goodbye'. Maybe I'm related to scrooge....

As 'that newbie', I very much agree. I don't mind in the least spending ££ on hives and equipment for the bees, but with free swarms available if you 'know how', I do mind paying £££ for bees that might well move home without a 'thank you and goodbye'. Maybe I'm related to scrooge....
All of my colonies arrived in my bait hive. It’s a really fun way to get started. Just treat (vape) for varroa as soon as they arrive (while broodless) and be aware that the queen may (or may not) be towards the end of her life. Whether they’re nice tempered bees or not is a bit of a lottery…

I am quite local to you and will have a colony available - but I prefer to wait until spring, especially for a newbie. I have downsized a bit over the last year or so, so may also have some kit available if you are in need. But if you can find a mentor in your locality that is able to get you started that may be preferable for you.
Hi Niv. We're now getting towards Spring... are you still thinking of downsizing? I now have a friendly farmer who is offering me some land to put my hives, so am getting to the point of being active...

Latest posts

Back