Newbie question: Where (and when) do I get bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarksMeadow

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
OK, I've done the taster day. Booked on a course in the new year. Bought a bee suit. Built a couple of National Hives. Read loads. Looked at loads on YouTube. But where do I get bees, and more importantly, I am assuming that late September is too late to start a couple of colonies. Any advice please?

too late to start
Without experience it may be a bridge too far to expect you to get bees through winter, and if you buy in spring someone else will have risked the loss. On the other hand, if you have sensible local support you might buy a couple of nucs or colonies now at a decent price from someone local who is downsizing.

The latter option depends very much on who you know in the local association who will supply good-tempered & healthy bees. Got a place to put them? Check out page 47 of the Haynes Bee Manual (I do hope you have a copy) and prepare well.

The three beginner colony failure points are wintering bees, varroa and swarming. If you focus on the first two there is no reason why they will not come through winter.

What were your reading sources?

As Eric has said, put a deposit on a nuc or nucs for the spring. There's little positive you can do this side of winter. Getting bees now risks;
1, You getting curious and just having a peek - when they should be left alone and accidentally killing the queen.
2, You may need to consider treatments - extra cost.
3, Feeding them over winter - extra cost.
4, Buying again in spring because they didn't make it - big extra cost.

OK, I've done the taster day. Booked on a course in the new year. Bought a bee suit. Built a couple of National Hives. Read loads. Looked at loads on YouTube. But where do I get bees, and more importantly, I am assuming that late September is too late to start a couple of colonies. Any advice please?
I would build a couple of swarm traps to put out in April…if you haven’t caught a swarm by mid June then think about buying a nuc (also make it known to your local association that you’re looking for your first colony and somebody may have a swarm or split that they’re willing to let you have for a nominal fee)

At my association if you complete the year you can buy a hive at seconds prices and are shown how to make up your own nuc from hives in the apiary.

I'd leave it until spring and use the time to ride shotgun with a mentor and focus on some theory.
If you can catch a swarm next year (your local association will have a swarm list) you will learn lots and quickly because they present their issues more readily.

After a season or two buy in decent queens which will transform your experience and make you appreciate what you have learned .

Do you belong to an association? If you do, find out about their policy. The swarm collectors may only ask for frames with foundation to replace the swarms that they collected. There might be others who are selling a few through the association. Otherwise if you Google nucs for sale in the UK, then quite a few pop up for next year. Some send nucs through the post, others only offer collection in person.

A taster session does not make you a beekeeper : or at least not a competent one.That usually takes 2-3 years practical experience.

In Autumn /Winter one mistake by you - and we all make/made mistakes as beginners - is likely to kill the colony. SO wait till Spring when you have better weather and mistakes can be rectified and bees are expanding rather than contracting as now.

Take the time to read and watch training videos (not US please as conditions are so different there).

I am making no promises for next year but if I think I may have a spare swarm I will let you know. We are not a million miles apart, i have one other before you though ...... but, I would suggest you get them from someone really local who can help you if you need it and who can set you going with a good strain of bees.

Wait until you have done the course.
I joined my local club and put myself on the swarm list.
I now have two hives from two donated swarms.
Got one through the winter and the second one hopefully makes it through this winter as well.
Good luck.

Join your local Beekeeping association. I had the fortune of joining my local club in Ashford Kent. Over the last few months I have learnt so much from them and have had the privilege of rearing a queen from scratch with their help, and now she has her own colony and the club have sited the hive for me and are supporting me to get them through winter. Next year I will hopefully move them from the club and site them myself. I am amazed at both the complexity of keeping bee's and the generosity of seasoned experienced Beekeepers.

Join your local Beekeeping association. I had the fortune of joining my local club in Ashford Kent. Over the last few months I have learnt so much from them and have had the privilege of rearing a queen from scratch with their help, and now she has her own colony and the club have sited the hive for me and are supporting me to get them through winter. Next year I will hopefully move them from the club and site them myself. I am amazed at both the complexity of keeping bee's and the generosity of seasoned experienced Beekeepers.
Sounds like you’ve landed on your feet with your BKA

I see you are from Shepton Mallet. I did the course in Shepton Mallet with Central when I started 10 years ago. It was a good course with somebody different taking each week and while I don't know if that is the same, I see from the SBKA website that the same person is supplying nucs of bees. I bought a nuc from him and they were nice gentle bees.
I'd have a word once you are sure that you want to be a beekeeper and get on his list. Also join the BKA, they will have monthly meetings and every time you look inside a hive as a beginner, even if it isn't your own, you learn something.

I am quite local to you and will have a colony available - but I prefer to wait until spring, especially for a newbie. I have downsized a bit over the last year or so, so may also have some kit available if you are in need. But if you can find a mentor in your locality that is able to get you started that may be preferable for you.

I also am not a million miles from you, and have a local beekeeper who will have nucs available next year. I would also wait u til spring, as others have said, and let someone else have the worry and expense of getting the bees through winter.

Hope he revisits the site to see all these kind offers😃

Indeed - I visit the site regularly, as it's a great treacle-mine (honey pit?) of learning and information. So, firstly, thanks everyone for these great offers. I'm going to respond to everyone individually. Secondly, it's good to know folks in the same geographical area. I'd be very happy to exchange skills for help - database design (I use databases for my records, as Excel sheets are not so easy to use) website help, or just some general grunt stuff! Thirdly, I agree about the SBKA - as commented above, I did the Central Division taster event the other week, and quite a few of the highly experienced folk were there. All great stuff.

Without experience it may be a bridge too far to expect you to get bees through winter, and if you buy in spring someone else will have risked the loss. On the other hand, if you have sensible local support you might buy a couple of nucs or colonies now at a decent price from someone local who is downsizing.

The latter option depends very much on who you know in the local association who will supply good-tempered & healthy bees. Got a place to put them? Check out page 47 of the Haynes Bee Manual (I do hope you have a copy) and prepare well.

The three beginner colony failure points are wintering bees, varroa and swarming. If you focus on the first two there is no reason why they will not come through winter.

What were your reading sources?
Haynes manual bought on your advice - and as it seems to be recommended reading generally. Thanks.

Back