New virgin killing another queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I spotted a newly hatched queen today first opening up the end of a queen cell then stinging the newly emerging queen inside.

You mean emerged? She 'hatched' at day 3. Unless she hatches twice? That would be a new one!

I doubt she actually opened the cell, but def didn't want competition! I thought they despatched them in the cells usually; but at the earliest opportunity would suffice.

Yes sorry emerged.

I watched her cut into the end of cell gradually making the hole bigger then reversing in a number of times to sting the queen inside I have never seen that before. I did watch one piping the other day and tried to video her but not very well. She was very actively hunting down other queens running across the comb then stopping to pipe. I do have the sound if anyone is interested what they sound like.

I do have the sound if anyone is interested what they sound like.
a very annoying reversing bleeper on a fork lift truck.

Did she get any help from workers in cutting the cell open?

Witnessing this a moment to treasure! Thanks for sharing.

Here is a screenshot of her cutting into the cell I am trying to upload video to youtube bear with me.

Great looking material. Kook forward to seeing the upload.

I too have seen this for the first time this season. She nibbled a hole in the side of the QC and stung the queen in side. Then went looking for more stopping to pipe en route. Got a good vid of here piping that I shall try and put up.

Well done for recording and sharing this. Thanks :)

Brilliant video! I've not heard the buzz of bees for a long time now, so thank you for sharing. I miss it so much.

Back