New Varroa treatment licenced

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
A new Varroa treatment Apitraz 500 based on Amitraze is now licenced for use in the uk, it is very similar to the french Apivar(Amitraze) not to be confused with Apilife Var

Last edited:
A new Varroa treatment Apitraze 500 based on Amitraze is now licenced for use in the uk, it is very similar to the french Apivar(Amitraze) not to be confused with Apilife Var

Sounds much the same as Biowar 500.

Sounds much the same as Biowar 500.

yep, looks almost identical, apitraz 500 is the spanish version rather than the Polish biowar 500

it is also thought Hopguard (ii) wil be authorised soon and marketed by Vita as "the green alternative Varroa treatment"

Last edited:
Google on my phone is not coming up with anything for apitraze500?

Attachments

• apitraz.jpg
    apitraz.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It doesn't mention any licensed use in national or langstroth hives on that data sheet. Only dadent and layens which I imagine are large hives. To be in place for 6 weeks after honey production ended.

Amitraz shampoos for use on dog mites are horrible smelling so not something I would rush to use even if in low concentrations.

It doesn't mention any licensed use in national or langstroth hives on that data sheet. Only dadent and layens which I imagine are large hives. To be in place for 6 weeks after honey production ended.

Amitraz shampoos for use on dog mites are horrible smelling so not something I would rush to use even if in low concentrations.

neither does the Apiguard approval relate to nationals nor MAQS and MAQS packets still say one thing and the advice from the manufacturer says another if used on a national box, too expensive to get the wording changed

so MAQS as approved is to strong for a national box

apibioxal is 4.2% w/V rather than 3.2% w/v as used before but the seam of a langstroth or dadant is much longer and the national shallower, so is 5ml dribble too much oxalic , possibly yes

all the uk approvals are based on different size boxes to the national....a right C@^K UP but we have to live with it as otherwise the medicants would not be approved as too expensive under EU rules for our small hobby beekeeping so they use an EU general approval

personally i am more worried about amitraz on me than the bees, layens hive according to the web are 14 frame hive with 37cmx31cm frames..BIG

Last edited:
Maybe that's why MAQs have problems and the bad rep with queens vanishing and the like if not licensed for British nationals (do know many people use them without issue as well). Wonder if the same things will happen with these on standard nationals

(ETA and totally agree don't want it in my skin ta!)

Latest posts

Back