New queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Just took delivery of a new queen and was thinking of making up a nuc,should i add some brood aswell from another hive and drawn comb or just introduce her to a one of my other hives which has a poor laying queen.The hive with the not so good queen in has not got many bee's could this be a problem,advice appeciated.

I was in a similar situation a couple of days ago. I took 2 frames of brood and 1 of stores from a strong hive, and made a new nuc for the new queen.
The notes I read suggested that older bees were more problematic accepting introduced queens.
You can always combine later...
I am now suspecting that my poor performing hive may have superceded... Haven't spotted a queen, though there is a little brood in there.

Just took delivery of a new queen and was thinking of making up a nuc,should i add some brood aswell from another hive and drawn comb or just introduce her to a one of my other hives which has a poor laying queen.The hive with the not so good queen in has not got many bee's could this be a problem,advice appeciated.
How long has she been a poor queen, have you checked for any diseases, you might be introducing a queen to a problematic hive which will get you nowhere. For now I would make up a nuc from your other hives and then establish what the problem is with the weak one.

and was thinking of making up a nuc,should i add some brood aswell from another hive and drawn comb

A funny (not ha ha variety) sort of post.

Your choice, but at this time of the year.... wax building is better avoided, and....

Think here - either add sufficient bees now or some to emerge later. Is there really any difference?

I might say (or remind you) that you introduce a queen to a queenless colony - not one with an even poor laying queen.

Seems like you need to decide on what your objective is, with this new queen. Increase, over-winter insurance against queen loss, replacement of a poor queen? That decision would dictate your use of this queen. Perhaps this was something that should have been thought through before purchasing?

The poor laying queen has not been great all year and suffered with quite bad chalk brood,it superceded and the new queen seems to have the same problem,that is why i wanted to requeen but i would obviosly get rid of this queen before introducing the new queen,but you maybe right in saying it could have another disease problem.What i probably should have said is,is it to late to make a nuc.The reason i asked should i add brood is i thought new young bee's emerging would be better in the long run,thanks for your answers.

Back