New EU honey labelling rules.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good news for Europe...probably not for the UK ... we are behind the curve in relation to the import of cheap and possibly adulterated honey. If the EU make it harder for the cheats ... where are they going to target their activities ?

It's fine. There's an ADM proposal for 'Action on the matter of adulterated honey that does not rely on the action of central government' for discussion on the 13th January. That'll sort it.

It's fine. There's an ADM proposal for 'Action on the matter of adulterated honey that does not rely on the action of central government' for discussion on the 13th January. That'll sort it.
yeah, right

At the moment I'm not convinced that it will make much of a difference. Given that (at least some of) the fraudsters are already lying about the product genuinely being honey in the first place, why would they not also arrange matters so they can lie about where it is coming from? And if they do, how will the EU authorities be able to determine that they have done so?

James

I think this will be a preaching to the choir situation. Especially if the labelling changes are all small print stuff or things the companies can hide on the back of labels. I believe the only labelling change that will get people who don't already question their 2 euro jar of "honey" is for the word Honey to be removed from the label, unfortunately.

Still I am glad to see the EU are trying to take action and I hope this is just the start.

The gloop could be imported in bulk to an EU country and the proudly display a “packed in the EU“ label, which will make it all ok.

There is always a percentage of the buying population who will purchase on price alone. A friend and I tried a comparison. I provided a jar from my hives and she provided one from a supermarket (Aldi I think). The sm "honey" had the consistency of 2:1 and tasted the same (just a little darker). The friend agreed totally but then said she would carry on using the sm stuff as it was cheap. No real answer to that.

There is always a percentage of the buying population who will purchase on price alone. A friend and I tried a comparison. I provided a jar from my hives and she provided one from a supermarket (Aldi I think). The sm "honey" had the consistency of 2:1 and tasted the same (just a little darker). The friend agreed totally but then said she would carry on using the sm stuff as it was cheap. No real answer to that.

The answer is perhaps to tell them that they're quite possibly being ripped off because they're likely to be paying over the odds for something that contains a high proportion of sugar syrup.

James

The answer is perhaps to tell them that they're quite possibly being ripped off because they're likely to be paying over the odds for something that contains a high proportion of sugar syrup.

James
Did try that approach to no avail, together with explaining the difference between local honey and a mysterious liquid from the Far East.

James
That could be good advertisement as hybrid honey ( honey with addition of vegan honey), as step toward completely pure vegan honey..

Recently at one of our country beekeeping assembly we were told that 40 samples were taken from shops and all were legit honey.. I would put 1000 euros as bet that at minimum 20% are fake.. But as how it was shown in nearby Serbia they had results as legit honey, but that analysis is made to not find fraud. At same time when is complete analysis made over 70% honey were fraud ( even they have results of " analysis from Germany" that it is legit honey).
Taste of honey is here real bitter for us beekeepers with real honey.. They are forcing me ( as also many others) to plan to reduce my beekeeping in spring.. Financially I cannot keep pace with criminals..
I cannot achieve 6 euros per kg of 1st class black locust honey.. One beekeeper here send a sample to one buyer at large for the price of 5 euros, buyer at large sensed a blood and offer 3 euros as it is shown in the analysis it is multifloral. Other beek stopped him to make mistake and told him to send to independent lab to test the same honey - result in that independent lab was 1st class black locust without doubt.. Beek didn't sell that honey to that buyer.. for now.. But as time passes our pockets get emptier and I cannot pay my bills with honey unfortunately..

Very surprised yesterday to pick up a 75p jar of Tesco 'Stockwell' own brand 'honey' (I always check the labelling!) and find it said 'Produce of China'. Normally it just says EU and non-EU countries.

Very surprised yesterday to pick up a 75p jar of Tesco 'Stockwell' own brand 'honey' (I always check the labelling!) and find it said 'Produce of China'. Normally it just says EU and non-EU countries.
If it's from a single country then it has to be labelled as such. If it's blended, then you get the EU/non-EU bit.

I was somewhat surprised to hear in that video clip that the UK along with China & Turkey were the main suppliers of fraudulent Honey entering the EU.

Recently at one of our country beekeeping assembly we were told that 40 samples were taken from shops and all were legit honey.. I would put 1000 euros as bet that at minimum 20% are fake.. But as how it was shown in nearby Serbia they had results as legit honey, but that analysis is made to not find fraud. At same time when is complete analysis made over 70% honey were fraud ( even they have results of " analysis from Germany" that it is legit honey).
Taste of honey is here real bitter for us beekeepers with real honey.. They are forcing me ( as also many others) to plan to reduce my beekeeping in spring.. Financially I cannot keep pace with criminals..
I cannot achieve 6 euros per kg of 1st class black locust honey.. One beekeeper here send a sample to one buyer at large for the price of 5 euros, buyer at large sensed a blood and offer 3 euros as it is shown in the analysis it is multifloral. Other beek stopped him to make mistake and told him to send to independent lab to test the same honey - result in that independent lab was 1st class black locust without doubt.. Beek didn't sell that honey to that buyer.. for now.. But as time passes our pockets get emptier and I cannot pay my bills with honey unfortunately..
That's awful Goran...those prices for real natural Honey are ridiculously low. Its not getting any easier for you is it ? Our thoughts and good wishes are always with you, let's hope this new EU legislation helps you a bit but I suspect you are not optimistic on past performance of the EU.

It's because it's imported from other countries, packed here and resold in the EU
As with all others I’m aware of the fraudulent product imported into the UK but didn’t appreciate the onward movement of said product - with all the whoha about Brexit boundaries etc etc I’m surprised by your statement. Why go to all the bother of buying from us as opposed to importing directly?
Looking at import/export of UK Honey market I stand by my statement of surprise at being named alongside Turkey & China in supply of fraudulent Honey into the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/512754/natural-honey-export-value-united-kingdom-uk/
https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/95814/

Latest posts

Back