Neighbour problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that position will remain if some of the attitudes on display here are widespread. Various ordinances have been introduced locally in the States and I'm now starting to see why.

Bees do crap on neighbours' washing and cars, especially right after winter confinement. Not a good thing - one reason for spraying the neighbourhood with free honey (in jars!) before that happens.

We'll have to agree to disagree DM.

Not a matter of disagreement.

If theres no rules to say that I cant keep bees, then thats it. No sub sections rule 1 paragraph 2 etc. No mention in Norwich council rules refering to bees in any shape or form. Therefore there cant be a rule that says I can keep bees but they mustnt sting anybody.

If you complain that a neighbours cat is crapping in your garden theres nothing that can be done.

Last edited:
Not a matter of disagreement.

If theres no rules to say that I cant keep bees, then thats it. No sub sections rule 1 paragraph 2 etc. No mention in Norwich council rules refering to bees in any shape or form. Therefore there cant be a rule that says I can keep bees but they mustnt sting anybody.

If you complain that a neighbours cat is crapping in your garden theres nothing that can be done.

Not saying there is, but a rule referring to public nuisance would probably cover that

I doubt that position will remain if some of the attitudes on display here are widespread. Various ordinances have been introduced locally in the States and I'm now starting to see why.

Bees do crap on neighbours' washing and cars, especially right after winter confinement. Not a good thing - one reason for spraying the neighbourhood with free honey (in jars!) before that happens.

What attidudes are you referring to? My attitude was very clear. Both neighbours could be happy and problems solved with a little compromise. I fail to see any poor attitude in any of yhese posts. Only differing opinions. If yhe compromises don't work even after the bees flight path have been totally altered and they still make a miraculous bee line for poor dear neighbour, then yes, move them. But at least try to alter flight paths first and requeen. Hardly drastic measures. And hardly a poor attidude

There are rules against "causing a nuisance".

For example - bonfires are OK in most places - unless they "cause a nuisance".
Music is generally OK - unless it's so loud that it "causes a nuisance".

There's obviously some space for your local council to decide exactly how bas something has to be before it constitutes a "nuisance". Personally, I would say that mess on cars is probably not enough for any reasonable council to act, but repeated stinging is definitely bad enough.

I beg to differ. ;)

Problem could be something like an overdose of fabric softener.
I'd get him to put my suit on and then see if anything happens.

Personally, I would say that mess on cars is probably not enough for any reasonable council to act
When the first compaint went in the council bloke said to me..."what does she do when a bird messes on her car?"

Last edited:
Music is generally OK - unless it's so loud that it "causes a nuisance".
but you cant get anybody to do anything about it..

Your local council can and should. If they don't, make a noise about it.

They tell you to keep a log of any noise or nuisance. When they come to investigate and they dont her any noise or nuisance...........you have to start again with another log.

You know, it doesn't matter why a neighbour is being stung by bees - assuming they have been stung and are not lying - what matters is that they that they have been stung. One sting kind of says that that place is not suitable for the keeping of bees, and that the colonies should be moved to a new location in a fairly quick timescale.

And if we are talking Council or Housing Association property you are likely to be in breach of your Tenancy Agreement if you are responsible of causing a nuisance.

Sensational. And asked without any sense of irony. That it got to 12 posts, let alone 12 pages without someone knocking on your door and shaking you to within an inch of your life frankly, amazes me.

yep - Ive seen them going for him and he had to go to hospital last year for treatment. Yesterday I was next to my hives with the girls coming in and out without a problem; as soon as he came by on the other side of the hedge I could see two go for him and the result was he didn't get stung but he beat a retreat waving and dancing back to his house.
They are sensing that he is an antagonist and go straight for him.
P.
Not much point in me continuing in this debate.

One sting kind of says that that place is not suitable for the keeping of bees, and that the colonies should be moved to a new location in a fairly quick timescale.

and does the same apply to hives in a field three miles from any houses when somebody on a bike ride gets stung?

If you keep bees in a garden/allotment, anyone who gets stung will assume it was one of your bees.

It will assumed to be one of your bees, even if it was a Bumble, wasp or even nettles.

Back