need to find new home for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebhoy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well, having the bees in the garden is starting to be a bad idea this year....with earlier build up and bigger colonies and bees being that little bit more aggressive :(
Now need, as a matter of urgency, to find an out apiary around Sutton (Surrey) area or will have to sell them as will be too dangerous for my family and neighbours to keep them here now.

Off to visit some farms /small holdings.......here's hoping.

If I can't find somewhere I will have to sell them all off :( :(

As I've said before, it can be possible to keep bees happily in a garden.
However, it does depend on lots of things, the bees, the garden, the neighbours, and many others - even the beekeeper.

And one ESSENTIAL thing is having a "Plan B" in place, BEFORE it needs to be activated.

I sympathise with your predicament as I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. However since finding a more suitable location, all the worry and stress has been lifted.

Good luck with your search.

ITMA, Totally agree with you, however, I ended up with them in my garden due to an issue in an out apiary they were originally on a couple of years ago......it had a Sports centre next to it with an outdoor pool.....the bees liked to visit for water and people were standing on them resulting in stings.

All the members had to move their bees out until it was resolved.....I never went back as I had subsequently left the association I was in.

I had very gentle bees the last two years in two hives but this year I am up to 3 full colonies and one nuc......too much for my garden.

Poor planning on my behalf.........no other excuse.

If you don't have any luck with other offers straight away I am not too far from you and could offer you a temporary home if needed.

Well, may have somewhere for two of them within the next two weeks...... if all goes well.
Was dropping off a 'borrowed' hive to someone in the association I used to be a member of and got chatting....they have a newish apiary with some space and I have just been to see it :)
Rejoining the association, (only left due to work commitments) they have a disease examination this weekend so can have my bees checked which hopefully will go ok and then just need the warden to get the ok from the people who they get the land from.

Fingers crossed that all goes well...excellent location, plenty of B/berry and Hymalayan balsam, for later in the year etc.....secluded with immediate water source :)

Got to keep looking though.

I am in islington London N7. i could give them a temp home too but i also would be interested in buying some if you decide to sell them.

After my own threads and others on aggression this year I was hoping to get a few answers from the more experienced beekeepers.
What changes the temperament from autumn to spring because other than the quick build up. I understand there may be many factors but I haven't heard anyone give a good reason yet. Is it hormones the queen is giving off? Protecting a large hive/colony? even though it still isn't as big as end of summer with loads of honey.
I am sorry to see mine leave our garden although I still have a couple of nucs which seem ok so I do sympathise.

There is no easy or perfect answer but generally a change of queen can help.
I always warn about keeping bees in the garden. I do but then I have 3.5 acres!
Hope it works out
E

Well, may have somewhere for two of them within the next two weeks...... if all goes well.
Was dropping off a 'borrowed' hive to someone in the association I used to be a member of and got chatting....they have a newish apiary with some space and I have just been to see it :)
Rejoining the association, (only left due to work commitments) they have a disease examination this weekend so can have my bees checked which hopefully will go ok and then just need the warden to get the ok from the people who they get the land from.

Fingers crossed that all goes well...excellent location, plenty of B/berry and Hymalayan balsam, for later in the year etc.....secluded with immediate water source :)

Got to keep looking though.

Sounds promising.
But do look into requeening to improve your stock, anyway. Apart from being more pleasant for you (and the other apiary users) it would also mean that you could have the option of returning some to the garden.
And, you might be thinking about restricting the number of your drones in the local gene pool...

Sorry for hijacking but now we are on the subject does anyone know of anywhere or anyone who would be willing for me to put some hives in the sa6 area urgently

Hi Itma,

it is really only the one colony that is / has become aggressive, the others were angry because of weather conditions and them all being at home when I needed to check them.
Another member pointed out, and was something I was thinking about, was that I may have done something to the queen thus worsening the situation, will know for sure shortly.

My other colonies are back to normal, calm and getting on with it....these are mother and daughter.....have good temperament and generally ok.

Requeening the angry one will be an option if they don't settle back down, or indeed if I have done something to her.

On a more positive note, I have now had a call to say I can move two of them into the new site on Sunday.....so long as they get the all clear on Saturday....3 full days to go and counting :D

But do look into requeening to improve your stock, anyway. .

This is theoretically a great idea. Unless your bought in queen turns out to breed supergrumpy bees. My last years plan to bring in some calmer stock has backfired as the bought in queen has worsened temperament! Try to breed from your calm queen if you can.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back