My Swienty/Paynes update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I use mine TBS with a framed excluder.....no problems yet.

Clearly you managed to buy one of those with a frame above the mesh ...

/// :) I'm still amused by the poster from some while ago who hadn't realised they could just be turned over ...

Yes. I have had my pa ins polys munched (ooerr).

I've had that déjà vu before...

perhaps that's what prevents it ?

Bees don't chew timber hives (unless rotting)

RAB

Thats interesting as I've never thought to ask anyone before as I thought bees generally ate wood, as I've see our bees on the family farm chew wooded hives, even new, high quality wooden ones.

I've even experienced this myself and i've recently replaced the floors on my home hives and in less than a week two hive's have tried to open up the 3 inch entrances we have in place, by chewing at the floors. They are busy when the sun shines to get out for a breath of fresh air :) You can see they have started to bevel it out.

I've just called and spoken to dad and grandad and they both say thier bees eat new, good strong wooden hives in their experience - Grandad's been keeping bees since he was a kid - his dad before him and Grandad's 93 now and still can't stop getting involved and working the bees daily with us, bless him.

Anyway, I'm just saying factually, not being argumentative.

I've just called and spoken to dad and grandad and they both say thier bees eat new, good strong wooden hives in their experience

I am pleased to say that I've never had any problems with my bees eating their wooden beehives, which are made from WRC and ply, never, and some of the hives were made several decades ago.

My poly hives havent been chewed but my overwintered paynes nucs have been chewed around the gap that leads into the feeder, all nicely rounded off.

When and what bees chew through is another one of those not yet understood behaviours . Sharp edges are favourites and so are items near the entrance even to the extent of chewing materials that in other circumstances are left alone e.g. wood, foil, cardboard, correx high density poly.

Latest posts

Back