my mini nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protheroe

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few
i just made ten of these,well i have cut and jointed the wood and have a few more to put together plus the frames to make and wax.they will hold 3 or 4 frames with a division board and feeder or 7 frames without feeder.the frames are halved super frames with the lug shortened.theres a sliding floor for shaking bees in or the whole floor can be removed for stacking if any need doubling up for winter.i made these because i am fed up of the little bu##ers absconding from the smaller mini nucs

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 96
They look great...I like the sliding floor so you can stack them.

At under a fiver with a deep roof it's much cheaper than buying them and they are quick and easy to make with minimal cuts,mainly on the table saw with a single router cut for the back walls floor groove

They are lovely. Makes me wish I could do woodworking. Unfortunately hubby is the woodworker in our house and I'm not allowed near his precious tools unsupervised.

Obe

I agree Obee1.... I have decided I need my own tools for making woody bits and pieces for my bees. So when i get my bee shed....I will have a lock so nothing can be borrowed. I see Lidl have some electric tools.....I see a visit looming! And I found a set of plans for a queen castle too!

All you really need is a tablesaw for hive making.

Unfortunately hubby is the woodworker in our house and I'm not allowed near his precious tools unsupervised.

Just be careful when you come to power tools. Table saws, routers, etc can rip a piece of wood out of your hands very easily.

I agree Obee1.... I have decided I need my own tools for making woody bits and pieces for my bees. So when i get my bee shed....I will have a lock so nothing can be borrowed. I see Lidl have some electric tools.....I see a visit looming! And I found a set of plans for a queen castle too!

Yes good idea! I'm sure hubby has several spares of most tools and may be persuaded to donate some for me to use. The table saw is his most precious tool though and that's the one I really want! Think I'm gonna just use it while he's at work and make me a bait box. I have used it under his supervision before so know how to use it.

Yes good idea! I'm sure hubby has several spares of most tools and may be persuaded to donate some for me to use. The table saw is his most precious tool though and that's the one I really want! Think I'm gonna just use it while he's at work and make me a bait box. I have used it under his supervision before so know how to use it.

Ha ha ...I'm going to buy my own. That way....there will be no arguements. Actually.....when we married I had a drill, hammers, screwdrivers, chisels, electric jigsaw and any number of other useful toys. They were all incorporated into his huge garage filling tool boxes. I shall investigate!

They look very good. Have you considered ventilation though?

I have ventilation through a cover board for transportation and for adding queen cells but won't use ventilation otherwise

All you really need is a tablesaw for hive making.

Track saw is better for cutting ply ; Easier to use, More accurate, quicker, less breakout, can handle larger pieces of plywood. It is probably safer as well as your hands are nowhere near the blade.

True but I much prefer pine or cedar.if I do work ply I cut them at the builders yard to fit in the landy and they are then much more manageable on the tablesaw.I do have a large bed on my saw(old fridge on one side and an old burned out tablesaw at the back)so I have a large work surface but a full eight foot sheet is a handful.

Latest posts

Back