Moving hive one & half miles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any tips for moving a hive one and a half miles. Currently in a 14x12 hive, far too big for them so I'm planning to put in a 14x12 nuc. Its a small colony of 3/4 frames of bees with marked Q, a late swarm. I want to move them from my apiary to home where i can keep a closer watch on them. What measures should I take to encourage them to stay?

On the assumption that you can't/dont want to move them 3 miles away from both first, think I'd wait until they are clustered mid winter, then move and leave some twigs etc around the entrance.

Move when the weather is cold for no flying for a couple of weeks. No need for twigs.

Any tips for moving a hive one and a half miles.

Yes, just move them.
They are unlikely to find the same forage as there is so forage little about at the moment. I've moved mine less than a mile with no problem...more problematic in summer when there are a lot of nectar sources around.

..... on the small side to overwinter

That is quite an assumption. Given that beekeepers regularly overwinter 5 and 5 frame National Nucs which are subsequently moved into full hives, a Nuc comprising 3-4 14x12 frames is a fair enough size to overwinter. Small colonies are routinely overwintered with success in much smaller "nucs".

Reducing this colony into a Nuc rather than a full hive will be to their benefit.

With regard to the OP, moving the bees during poor or cold weather will encourage them to stay at the new site. Their foraging range at this point in the season is much reduced and as a consequence, my view is that they can be successffully moved shorter distances at this time of the year. A wee bit of a feed will also help them settle after moving.

i moved mine about a mile away in mid season no probs at all did leave a few nucs about for if any came back but none did good luck

I have moved 0.75miles in season with no problems: BUT the ground was hilly and there was a wood in between.
I use cyprus tree branches in front of entrance: they force bees to re-orientate..

I can understand your wish to keep a close eye on them over winter but perhaps you could leave them where they are but remove three frames on each side and replace them with PIR insulation (Celotex, Kingspan, etc.) so that they end up with a smaller space to inhabit and have additional insulation on two sides. Further insulation above the crown board with feed holes firmly closed is recommended.

CVB

I can understand your wish to keep a close eye on them over winter but perhaps you could leave them where they are but remove three frames on each side and replace them with PIR insulation (Celotex, Kingspan, etc.) so that they end up with a smaller space to inhabit and have additional insulation on two sides. Further insulation above the crown board with feed holes firmly closed is recommended.

CVB
Thanks for feedback. My apiary can be a bit of a frost pocket and definitely more sheltered at home so decided after today's vape to transfer to a nuc tomorrow, let them settle in and move to home 1.5 miles away at the weekend. Will report back!
I probably should merge but hate the thought of squashing a Q, and i see it as a challenge to nurture them along thro winter.

Moved the bees successfully, just one mile. Now bringing in yellow pollen. There is a field nearby, looks like rape, yellow flowers any suggestions what it may be?

Almost certainly Sharlock or field mustard as a green manure or cover crop. Rape seed is a biennial that is now sown and looks like ugly squats or small plants in fields, all neatly the same size. A carpet of cabbage green.

Well done moving bees, Ive moved mine in mid summer less than 2 miles, but in full nectar flow, so they dont go far to forage, there is no need. it really only summer dearth when they really start foraging and looking hard, When i find they have a much increased range.

Well done Etton. Another experience under your belt.
E

I moved mine 3 weeks ago 5 meters. Waited for rainy few days together. Shut them up at night (covered entrance with mesh for ventilation but no escape) left them 24hrs then removed mesh early a.m. covered entrance with ferns to force them to reoriantate. All successful. Had a few fly round old site so left a box there too but all found their way home by evening.

Latest posts

Back