Moving bees in WBC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WBC's do come with solid floors. Actually do they come with OMF's?

The answer to your insulation is yes. Back in the day they used to have sacks on the CB and mice were a serious issue.

PH

I didn't realize that in a WBC the bees can get into the gap between the boxes and the lifts.
They cannot get into the void if the hive has been built properly and has a tunnel slip.

They cannot get into the void if the hive has been built properly and has a tunnel slip.

That's how I thought it should be, but there is no tunnel. When I take off the roof I can look down and see bees walking around on the floor between the BB and the bottom lift. It's not really a problem as I intend to move them to a poly national the first warm day in spring, but I'll look for some plans on 'tinterwebby and see if I can make a tunnel slip.

WBC's do come with solid floors. Actually do they come with OMF's?

The answer to your insulation is yes. Back in the day they used to have sacks on the CB and mice were a serious issue.

PH

Thanks PH, I'll get some insulation on them. Th*rnes make OMF for WBC's but you could almost pay for a complete poly hive for the same price!

. Back in the day they used to have sacks on the CB and mice were a serious issue.

PH
Back in the day the gaps between inner and outer were filled with insulating material such as cork chipping lagging's for winter. That was the original thinking for double walled hives. Cowan's massive double hive was the forerunner of the lighter WBC; originally made from old orange crate boards!
The outer lifts and insulation were supposed to be removed from the WBC during the warmer summer months.
We have already forgotten......

... I intend to move them to a poly national the first warm day in spring...

Today was the day - 18C and no breeze, so I took the opportunity to move the bees into a poly. It went very well, I took off the lifts, moved the BB a couple of yards away and put the poly in its place, then transferred the frames one at a time. Considering the hive had no attention for two or three months prior to me buying it in November the comb was very orderly, no brace comb and just one frame I had to discard because it had only one lug. Fortunately it was an end frame and was so well propolised I had a job to move it which I guess is why it stayed in place while only supported on one side.

There are plenty of bees, nice and calm, BIAS, and, joy of joys I spotted the queen, walking calmly about. I was able to catch and mark her so I can find her again :D (White as I have no idea of her age - the seller was vague and unsure when I asked)

The bees were not the least phased that their home had changed shape and colour and within 15 minutes of me putting on the roof all the flyers and bees left on the WBC floor had made their way inside.

So I'm very happy today. :)

When I find the strength I'll lug the WBC home and put it in a sale - the lifts are SO heavy compared to handling a poly.

Last edited:
Back